How do I adjust automation rule so no notification is sent when a person creates an issue themself?

SHEHZADALI ISMAILY August 23, 2022

I have a JIRA automation rule that notifies the Product Owner via email when a new issue is created. Currently it notifies her even if she creates the issue herself. How can I adjust the rule so that if she is the reporter, it does not send her an email notification even if she is the one that created the issue?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

Hi @SHEHZADALI ISMAILY - You can add an advanced condition to the rule like this:

{{issue.reporter.displayName}}
Does Not Equal
<your product owner's name>
0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2022

Hi @SHEHZADALI ISMAILY 

As the product owner could be creating an issue on behalf of another Reporter, I suggest using the smart value {{initiator}} as that is the person (i.e. user) who triggered the rule, and add a condition to exclude the product owner.

Also...the Issue Created trigger could fire faster than the data is available, leading to your condition failing.  (This is a known racetrack problem with automation rules.)  So perhaps change your rule to re-fetch the data before the condition test.  For example...

• trigger: issue created
  • action: re-fetch issue
  • advanced compare condition: test if the {{initiator.accountId}} does not equal the product owner's user accountId
  • ...proceed with the rest of your rule

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

Hi Shehzadali,

Just add in a Condition to see if she is the Reporter. 

If you share your rule, we can help guide if needed. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events