How do I access The Burndown Charts?

Azam Merza May 9, 2021

Hello JIRA Community,

I am using JIRA to do a training project for my school. I managed to figure out the backlog and sprint creation. but how do I get my burndown charts? I tried running the sprint and then moving the items through. and then when I click complete sprint it just disappears from my back log and I can't access the Burndown Chart.

In google it says to go to reports but i dont see a report button. please help!

Thank You

Azam

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2021

Hi @Azam Merza,

I am assuming you are working in a team-managed project. You can verify that towards the bottom left corner of your screen, where it says "You're in a ... - managed project".

If so, you probably must enable the reports feature in your project first. Click on Project Settings > Features and then enable the Reports feature.

As soon as you've done that, reports should become available in the navigation options of your project. The sprint burndown report is one of the available reports.

Hope this helps!

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 07.50.01.png 

Azam Merza May 10, 2021

Thank You @Walter Buggenhout 

just activated reports. When I am done my team sprint will look for it. How Typically is the Menu to pull up reports. Thank You for the Screenshots.

Azam Merza May 10, 2021

@Walter Buggenhout 

Yes Walter I am doing a team project. I an new to JIRA and trying to figure it out on my own. 

So it is a mock team project and I have to hand in my burndown charts. I was able to finally see them! However they are showing a flat line when they should be showing a downwards slope. I am assuming as i had to do the moving of items within hours.

so I have to make 3 Sprints in 5 day but I only have 1 week till this project is handed in.

How much time do you allocate to do each sprint to get a downwards line?

Thanks Again!

Azam

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2021

Hi @Azam Merza,

The length of your sprint does not impact your burndown line. A standard sprint length from scrum is usually 2 weeks, but in practice they are as long as you decide them to be: they run between the moment you start and complete them.

To get a burndown line, the most important thing you need to do is choose the right estimation field in your report:

Screenshot 2021-05-11 at 10.43.36.png

As you can see in the screenshot, you can choose between story points and issue count. If you don't estimate your issues with story points, your burndown will just be a flat line at the bottom of the chart. If you choose issue count (as I did here), you will see the line go down as soon as you move issues to the righmost column of your board (done).

"As soon as" is not entirely true either, as Jira takes a little bit of time to reindex and parse the updates into the report. But that is a matter of maybe a minute or so, not hours or days.

Hope this helps! 

Azam Merza May 11, 2021

It does @Walter Buggenhout now the problem I hVe is my class assignment is due Saturday and we were just finished the knowledge to start.

So basically I have these 4 days to create a 2 week burn down chart. I managed to get a flat line but at zero. Where do I link the story points?

Is there a ratio I can adjust so that one hour is like a day for me to work my backlog through?

Thanks

Azam

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2021

Hey @Azam Merza,

That's sad to hear, but not much you can do about that - I am afraid. You cannot manipulate the chart, the timeline is just the way it works. Jira is a tool built for real life business environments where sprints really run across multiple days (or weeks). So I hope you were given your assignment very recently and can explain you can't manipulate the charts. If not, an important lesson learnt will be to start earlier in the future.

About the story points - that's a field you should fill out on each issue. It is literally called Story points. You will - also unfortunately - see your burndown line go up instead of down if you add story points to an issue in your already started sprint. For a bit more background, see this article on story points.

I still wish you all the best with your assignment!  

Azam Merza May 11, 2021

Yeah it's somthing to be said about the state of education systems if we need time to properly do this then their should be time not everyone learns in advance some attend lectures study then absorb knowledge to start.

I'll do my best maybe shorter iterations like one day one day and I will Hve footnotes to declare time periods within a day for three Sprints in two weeks of classes where each sprint is two weeks does not make sense I will provide lessons learned feedback to my educational institution.

Thank you for your help I will look into it from here @Walter Buggenhout 

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2021

All the best!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events