How can i enable Road map for a KANBAN project with custom issue type?

Ravi Tata January 31, 2021

Hi Folks, 

I would like to 'enable Road map for a KANBAN project with custom issue type'.
I have managed to turn the Road map feature ON for my project, however when i goto Raodmap, i get 'Your project doesn't have epics configured' on that page.

In this project there are no EPIC's , and i have custom issue type called Opportunity.
What i would like to do is use Opportunities and road map them..

See below from doco, as i read this - to me it seems its doable. But How?

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/troubleshoot-the-roadmap/#No-epic-issue-type

Thanks in advance
Ravi

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2021

Hi @Ravi Tata 

Is this a Next-Gen or Classic Project?

---------------

In Next-Gen, you can "sort of" do this. You can change the name of the Epic issue type. To do this you'll need to be a Project Admin and then...

1. Click Project Settings > Issue Types
  2. Select the Epic issue type from the left-hand panel
  3. Hover over the name and click to edit - then change the name and press "Save Changes"

^ If you've deleted the Epic issue type previously, you'll need to re-add it then follow the above instructions

1. Click Project Settings > Issue Types
  2. Ensure there is not a custom standard or sub-task issue type called "Epic" - you'll need to change its name or remove the issue type
  3. Press "Add issue type" and select the Epic and create it

---------------

I don't think this is possible in Classic, regardless of what that page states.

You can (in theory) change the name of the Epic issue type in Classic but it would change for all projects, not just one.

To do this you'd need to be a Jira Admin and then:

1. Go to Jira Settings > Issues > Issue Types (left-hand menu)
  2. Locate Epic and press Edit
  3. Change the name and press Update

I'd strongly caution against doing this though - as it can have other implications, and wouldn't change any of the Epic reports, dashboard gadgets or fields (Epic Link, Epic Name, etc would remain the same).

I would instead suggest using Epics as designed, and then use Components or similar to mark these as Opportunities.

---------------

Ste

Ravi Tata January 31, 2021

Thanks for the response @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 
It is a Classic project. I really wanted to validate if what the page stated is possible or not without too much damage to out of box usage and functionality of epics.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events