It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can i change the rule for getting correct velocity of the team?

Currently, we have 5 status, my team pushed it completed from their end, but we consider it as done, only it passes the QA round. which takes time and due to which I am not able to get a correct report on my team's velocity. 

Any suggestion?

1 answer

Hi @swati 

I believe you are describing your team's work steps within a sprint, where building an item is completed and QA work is not completed by the end of the sprint.  You seem to be asking how to record velocity for work which is built but not yet tested.  Is that correct?

If so, the work is not yet done, and so velocity is not increased.  In Scrum, work is selected, built, and tested all within the sprint so it is potentially releasable.

Some teams are unable to complete work within a sprint for many possible reasons.  Perhaps the work scope was too large, or perhaps teams are organized in such a manner that all steps cannot be done at the same time-frame due to different priorities, etc.

Regardless of the reasons, when the work is split in time or by teams so it cannot complete in a sprint, a few options to manage this are:

1. Split work into smaller work items so build (dev) and testing can complete within a sprint
  2. Finish build and move the item to done.  Clone the item, and then have the other team (QA) work on it in another "sprint".  With this method, you are no longer following Scrum, and any velocity you measure is not useful in forecasting work completion.
  3. Change from Scrum to Kanban to better align with the manner and cadence of the team's working methods

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to create Jira issus from Excel file?

When to use CSV importer When managing your processes in Jira, there are many occasions where you need to create a lot of tasks. Creating them one by one will cost you a lot of time and effort and i...

2,529 views 14 20
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you