How can I use JQL to compare tickets where its priority and the linked issue priority do not match?

Ian _I_ - Aware June 22, 2022

Hello.

I want to be able to compare the priority of tickets between the original ticket and the linked issue ticket using JQL - is that possible?

For example, I create a ticket and set the priority as High but a linked issue gets added to it and the priority is Medium.

I want it so that the priority of the linked issue ticket matches that of the original ticket.  But first I need to know all the tickets whose linked issue priority doesn't match.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Here's JQL I have but I am not sure it is correct:

project in (ProjectA, ProjectB) AND created >= 2021-05-17 AND priority = High AND issueLinkType is not EMPTY AND priority != High

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Dam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2022

Hi Ian, 

Unfortunately you can't do that in Jira Cloud natively. 

You can only search for issues with links to a specific issue, for example:

project in (ProjectA, ProjectB) AND priority = High AND issue in linkedIssues(PRJA-2)

You can learn more about JQL and JQL functions here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/advanced-search-reference-jql-functions/

If you really need to perform such search: you will need to use an app for that... one of the most famous app for advanced JQL for Jira Cloud is JQL Search Extensions for Jira - the JQL extensions: 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1214791/jql-search-extensions-for-jira-the-jql-extensions?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

It hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dam. 

Ian _I_ - Aware June 23, 2022

Such a shame, but thank you for taking the time to reply.

0 votes
mauricio.groth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2022

Hi @Ian _I_ - Aware 

As you're on Jira Cloud, the correct answer is to get an app that provides JQL extensions you're looking for.

With standard JQL, you can only get a list of issues and export them to Excel for further processing. This works if you want to do a one-off analysis. If your use case is more dynamic than that, look beyond standard Jira.

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it, but you can quickly find the results using our professional indexing service JQL Search Extensions

With this query, you’ll be able to find all the linked issues that are in high priority with the other issue with a different priority:

project in (ProjectA, ProjectB) and created >= 2021-05-17 and issue in linkedIssuesOfQuery("priority = high") and priority != High

Check out the documentation for more examples.
I hope this helps!
Maurício

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events