How can I transfer field value from subtask to a parent ?

Alex Baker August 8, 2022

Hi, when user fill the subtask issue field, I want to transfer (copy) this value to a parent issue, for better and most easily way to get all the summary.

Example.

My automation creates 4 subtasks, after that, users fills all relevant fields for them, then I want to copy that filled values to a parent issue somehow, into description field or to the same fields but in the parent issue, doesn't matter, is that possible via Jira Automation ?

Thank you in advance. 

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Thuan_ Do Dang
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2022

Hi @Alex Baker ,

Here are some common cases of Jira automation: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation-use-cases

Your case is similar to the 2nd part of Synchronizing parent issues and sub-tasks. Please try it.

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 18, 2022

Hi @Alex Baker,

I am Marlene from codefortynine.

An alternative solution would be possible with Dynamic Custom Fields for Jira. With our app you can create dynamic custom fields using Jira expressions, which computes field values from existing issue data.

E.g. it is possible to display the status of the parent issue in the subtasks. 

dynamic-custom-fields_parent-status.pngOur app provides a lot of templates, but it is also possible to write your own custom expression.

If you have questions (e.g. how to write your own custom expression), don't hesitate to reach out to us. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events