How can I stop receiving mail notifications for Jira issues I am not watching?

Jakob B_ April 22, 2022

I permanently get notifications about Jira issues I am not watching. That happens with issues of all projects I created - although

• I handed over the project lead
  • I am no more listed in the "people" section
  • I already did a bulk rework "unwatch all issues" for that project.

See this example notification mail:

Ashampoo_Snap_22 April 2022_17h31m43s_007_.png

and the return of the notification helper on this issue

Ashampoo_Snap_22 April 2022_17h32m19s_008_.png

As far as I understand the notification helper is right: I should not receive notifications for this event. 

The problem is: I did. I always do.

Can you please help me understand the settings and getting rid of issue notifications I don't want to receive?

Thank you very much and best regards, 

Jakob

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jakob B_ May 4, 2022

I found the solution: It's not a bug. Some time ago we configured a dummy user in Jira to collect new issues from a web form. The user is the creator of these issues and the user's mail address is connected with mine. That's why I received notification mails for tickets i don't watch. 

Kris Ka September 8, 2022

Hello @Jakob B_ 

Thank you for your response. It is helpful.

Could you just explain where to change this setting (disconnecting/adding/removing users from that dummy user), please?

I am facing this issue and it is really annoying to receive mails whereas you should not receive it..

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Regards,

Kris

Jakob B_ September 8, 2022

Hi Kris, 

it was not really about changin a setting. What we did (and what I dind't remember anymore when troubleshooting my notofication problem) was:

• We created a dummy user in Jira (with an own user account and mail adress)
  • We configured some automation rule that makes Jira treat the dummy user as the reporter of new issues for a certain project.
  • The mails sent to this user have been redirected to my inbox.
  • Jira notified the creator of the ticket (=the dummy user) about all changes - which is correct on Jira side.
  • I received the mail (and didn't realize it had been redirected from that other user account).

I hope I could make it a bit celarer and it helps you with solving your problem.

Best, Jakob

Like Kris Ka likes this
Kris Ka September 8, 2022

Hi Jakob,

I hope you are fine.

Thank you for your quick response.

I understand the point but I am struggling to find out a way of redirecting to my inbox part. I think that is the solution but I don't know where to configure this.

Also, is a project automation rule?

Could you please share more about this?

Thank you again for your attention.

Best,

Kris

Jakob B_ September 8, 2022

Hi Kris, 

let's give it one more try, I don't know how to explain it in other words ;)

The redirection of the mails had nothing to do with Jira. In our regular mail system we created a mail adress for a completely different, technical Jira account, which I called "dummy" in my explanytions. The mails sent to this mail account have been redirected/forwarded to my personal mailbox.

I fear I can't help you any further. You'd porobably better contact Atlassian support team.

Best, Jakob

3 votes
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2022

Hi @Jakob B_ 

I would check your personal notification settings, as this may be what's causing you to receive the emails.

If you click on your avater in the top right and then Personal Settings, you will be able to amend a few settings around this

personal notifications.png

Jakob B_ April 24, 2022

Hi,

thank you for your response. These are my notification settings:

Ashampoo_Snap_25 April 2022_08h40m06s_001_.png

Yes, most options are checked. But unchecking all options would stop email notification in general which I don't want. I only want to stop notifications of projects and issues I have nothing to do with (anymore). See my example in the first post: I am not reporter, not assignee, not watcher but I received the notification mail.

Any other idea how I could stop unwanted notifications? Or is it a bug?

Best, Jakob

Suggest an answer