How can I show the priority icon in the next-gen boards?

Michael Buechele December 21, 2018

I am missing the priority icon in the next-gen board.
The cards in the backlog and in the kanban board don't show it.

Is there way to make it visible?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Buechele June 11, 2019

Hi everybody,

the priority icon was released and is now visible if you configure it on the card layout.

See release notes:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Next-gen-release-notes-for-Jira-Software-Cloud/ba-p/983083

team June 12, 2019

Hi @Michael Buechele 

Thanks for the information. It looks like story point estimate, labels and assignee appear on the board and the backlog but priority dont.

Did you manage to get it ? 

Michael Buechele June 12, 2019

Hi @team,

yes, it is already working fine for me.
I did not have to change anything myself.

The only thing that I now see relevant is that you add the priority field to the issue types yourself.

philosurfer June 13, 2019

I have had the priority field already added to the issue types and we are still not seeing the icons on the board. 

I have tried both primary and secondary fields to no avail. 

Please advise. 

Like # people like this
Regis_Zanandrea June 16, 2019

Hi,

I have the priority field added too and still doesn't show the priority icon.

Anyone else having this issue too?

Rogerio Carvalho
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2019

@philosurfer and @Regis_Zanandrea could you both please double check whether you can see it now? We just recently finished to rollout priority and due date fields to card layout.

Dawn Elliott September 5, 2019

I am unable to find the priority either on Next Gen Kanban board configuration. It is available on Next Gen 'Scrum' with backlog configuration. Or am I missing something somewhere?? Really need the priority arrows or something similar?

tim.nesdale September 5, 2019

If you read the whole thread Dawn, this feature doesnt exist and hasnt since the start so unlikely it ever will.

Dawn Elliott September 6, 2019

I've found a way to do it 

Project Settings > Issue Types > Create field 'priority' you can also use that for doing 'completion date' and other useful fields (add them to the context fields section)

;)

Like Olivia Keneipp likes this
6 votes
Daniel McNulty February 26, 2019

This is madness. Why is this not supported?

Tim Nesdale April 8, 2019

I think Atlassian should just own up and tell people honestly that Next Gen projects are experimental and shouldnt be used in a real business context cos they're nowhere near ready.

Like # people like this
4 votes
Graham Gaylor January 5, 2019

Any updates on this? Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like the current priority implementation is severely limited and not worth using at this time. In order for our team to pick their next task based on priority, they have to click on each task to figure out what their priority is. Is that correct? Are we able to sort by priority or do anything with them that may help with this?

I guess for the time being we can use tags to indicate priority instead of the priority feature. Are there any other work around recommendations? 

2 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2018

Hello @Michael Buechele

I just checked on cloud instance, now the Priority is available.

You can add it like

Project settings -> Issue types > (select the correct issue type) List of fields is now available and you can add priority field and then click on "Save changes"

Hi @Tarun Sapra,

I think you misunderstood my question.

I can already fill in the priority, but the according icon is not shown in the backlog list or the kanban board cards. I have to open each individual issue to see the priority.

Here is a screenshot of an "old" backlog, these icons are missing in the new view.

old.PNG

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2018

Hello  @Michael Buechele

Thanks for the screenshot, now it's clear.

Currently, its not supported, may be in the future.

See ticket here

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17268

Hello @Tarun Sapra,

thanks, but may I ask, why it is not supported yet?
Is the next-gen project sort of an early alpha, or is it already meant to be used productive?

I'm not sure, if we can use this without such basic features such as showing the priority.

Like # people like this
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2018

Hello @Michael Buechele

As to why it's not supported, this can be best answered by someone from Atlassian only. 

Here's the roadmap for next-gen projects

https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software

You can continue to use classic boards if you feel next-gen projects lack the features you need. Once the next-gen projects have them then you can migrate the classic projects seamlessly to next-gen project.

If you feel my answer has helped you, please accept/upvote so that other users are also helped in the community. Thanks!

Like # people like this
tim.nesdale February 26, 2019

Id like to downvote this. 'maybe' isnt really good enough and its not even on the roadmap. You cant expect users to commit to things without any certainty of the future. Can you please get this on the roadmap or confirm its not going to happen so we can make decisions based on this?

Like # people like this
1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2018

Hello @Michael Buechele

As per the Atlassian's post about this

Basic custom fields

Create custom text, number, date, time, and label fields for your project's issue types.

Required fields, default values and more custom field types and options coming soon.

Priority and resolution per project is coming soon.

Complete post here

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Everything-you-want-to-know-about-next-gen-projects-in-Jira/ba-p/894773

tim.nesdale January 28, 2019

I dont think the item youve suggested in the road map is necessarily going to reintroduce this invaluable feature that Michael has requested. Can we please get it added to the future backlog?

Like # people like this
JH February 17, 2019

Agreed with @tim.nesdale and @Michael Buechele. This is such an important feature for prioritising our teams and work.

Like # people like this
Micky Thompson March 5, 2019

Based on a quick Google, I think either Tarun posted the wrong link or Jira has moved the information re: Priority to a different page. If you go to the following page:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Classic-and-next-gen-project-templates-in-Jira-Software-Cloud/ba-p/862404

We see that it is in fact mentioned the text "Priority and resolution per project is coming soon."

I wanted to make sure we all had the correct link for where this was mentioned by Jira as a coming feature as we too also are needing 'Priority' in the Next-gen projects.

Thanks,

Micky

Michael Buechele March 5, 2019

@Micky Thompson 

The priority field is already available in the next-gen projects, but the priority icon is missing in the backlog list and board view. That means you can set the priority, but you will never see it anywhere other than in the detail view.

For me it's like they forgot the second half of that feature ;-)

Like # people like this
Micky Thompson March 6, 2019

@Michael Buechele 

You made my day! I actually didn't realize we could change the priority within Next-gen projects. I had incorrectly assumed since priority didn't appear on the board view or backlog list, priority was also hidden in the edit screen. After I saw your message 'you can set the priority', we researched this more and we did find where we can in fact add the priority field to the edit screen. 

Yesterday, I was thinking with the lack of priority and the lack of sub-tasks, we may need to switch back to Classic. Now that we know priority can be edited, we will give Atlassian more time to solve the second half of priority where they make it visible on the board view and in the backlog list as you correctly described it and also patiently wait for sub-tasks.

Thanks again!

Like # people like this
pshustak May 31, 2019

@Michael Buechele  Can you explain how to do this: 

>> we did find where we can in fact add the priority field to the edit screen. 

Thank you!

Suggest an answer