How can I show the Parent (story) card on my Scrumboard, hide the subtasks, but still see them in the Issue detail view

Larry Jennings January 8, 2015

I have a dream...

I want to keep my Scrum board to just the parent story card with no subtasks so that its nice and easy to read. I want to keep the focus on the the parent User Story, rather then the subtasks underneath. 

However, I would like to be able to see the subtasks in the Issue Detail view when I click on the parent card (Rather then going into the whole card)

When I try to just filter out the subtasks though, it also removes then from the Issue Detail View.

I'm on JIRA Cloud, so, most plug ins are out of the question. 

Any Suggestions? Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
Jose Raupp
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2015

Hey Larry,

I've performed some tests here and I was able to filter out the subtasks from work plan AND still see them on issue details panel by creating a quick filter "issuetype != Sub-task" (Board > Configure > Quick Filters).

Could you please verify if that works for you?

Cheers,

Jose

Chris Megson January 18, 2016

Hi Jose,

Please can you elaborate on how you achieved this?

I am also trying to do this. But subtasks still don't show in Issue details panel.

0 votes
Larry Jennings January 13, 2015

So, that works as far as filtering out the subtasks, but I am still left with just a line description of the parent cards, not the actual card itself (which is what I am aiming for) So I want all of the cards to display regardless of subtasks or not.

Screenshot 2015-01-13 13.59.26.png

Thanks for the help though...

Jim Stover August 16, 2016

Looking for something exactly like this myself - a view that shows the Stories in their current swimlane (i.e. In Development, In Testing, etc.) - and am unable to figure out how to accomplish this.  We host this internally but have not been able to find a plug in that accomplishes this.  The layout of the Stories in Sub-Tasks in the list view in JIRA Agile is less than desirable in my humble opinion.

Like # people like this
ClaytonPwC January 4, 2017

Go to Board->Configure and select Customize Swimlanes.

Add a JQL Query for Stories. If you just want to display Stories, then the JQL Query would be "issueType = Story". If that's the only Query listed under Swimlanes, then when you go back to your board, you will see all the stories under a Stories heading placed in their appropriate swimlanes.

Like # people like this
Deleted user June 11, 2019

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks  :)

Capture.PNG

Minh-Quan Ngo June 23, 2021

A few years later I still find this very helpful. Thanks @ClaytonPwC 

Suggest an answer