How can I show the Jira announcement banner only to logged in users who use Internet Explorer browser?

Rob van den Belt May 22, 2014

We are using Jira 6.1 and our default Company browser is IE 8.0 . I want that only users that still use IE with Jira will see the Announcementbanner. Is this possible. If yes, how?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2014

IE conditional comments work fine in the announcement banner, eg:

<!--[if IE 8]>
<div style="background-color:  #FFFF00; padding: 2px; text-align: center; color: black;"> 
<strong>IE8</strong> -
	I wouldn't let my dog use IE8, get a better browser.
</div>
<![endif]-->

Rob van den Belt October 5, 2015

Thank you very much, that's the way!

0 votes
Christopher Heritage
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2020

I came across this thread trying to do this for IE 11.

This is the JavaScript I came up with.

<script>
//detects if user uses Internet Explorer 11 and displays a message
var ua = window.navigator.userAgent;
var trident = ua.indexOf('Trident/');
if (trident > 0) {
document.write('Type your custom message here.');
}
</script>

I'm not a developer, so this may be an inelegant solution. But, it works for us! It shows just the announcement to IE 11 users.

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2014

Hi Rob,

You could try using javascript in the announcement banner so it only shows up when the browser is IE.

But as I don't have any decent javascript experience I wouldn't have a clue about which javascript you need exactly.

I did find the following question that might help you on your way:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/104845/javascript-works-in-announcement-banner-but-not-when-in-web-resource-module

Best regards,

Peter

Suggest an answer