How can I setup a requirement for when an issue is moved?

Davina Tsosie September 6, 2017

I have two workflows. One for requests and one for Enhancements. Our Enhancement workflow has a status that requires manager approval before work can begin. Because these two workflows have the same statuses, when I change a Request to an Enhancement via Move Issue, it keeps the same status and does not allow me to transition the issue to Open and through the necessary approval process. Is there a way if the issue is moved to an Enhancement it knows that approval is needed and would therefore not keep the current status, say it's In Progress, and will allow issue to either be transitioned or is there a trigger that would know it's an Enhancement that requires approval so therefore it would seek approval?

My current approval process is a simple status Approved by manager button with only manager access to execute this transition. Maybe I'm doing approvals wrong and there is a better method, automation, validator or post-function I can incorporate to make this flow better?

Your help is much appreciated

Davina Tsosie

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2017

Basically it sound like when you do a move from Request to Enhancement you would want the state to go back to the beginning state or at least one prior to the approval state. If i'm missing something please ignore the rest of my suggestion. :-)

Is it possible to change one of the workflow to not have the same statuses. In this way when you move an issue you would have to specify the status mapping, e.g. In Progress would be set to Open.

Another option, and likely more paletable would be to transition the status while it is still a Request back to say Open. If you make Open an All transition that would be best. Then when you move it to Enhancement it will be pre-approval status.

Davina Tsosie September 7, 2017

Thanks for your reply. I have tried renaming the statuses but to standardize things we'd like to keep the basic status names. I have also created transitions back to open (only visable and executable by administrators via validators) but when running the automation it does not transition the issue back to Open status. It is possible that my syntax is incorrect.

Any suggestions?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2017

can you share your automation. screenshot would be great.

Automation for Issue Type Change.jpg

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2017

Draft automation isn't enabled I think? Also you need to make sure that the user that Automation is working as has permission to make the transition. Verify that this isn't the issue by removing your validator during your test.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 7, 2017

In addition to @Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority input which is very probable....

i use cloud so this is a bit different I don't have "type" everything is issuetype. however, I am wondering about the WHEN and IF here. I am suspicious that the IF is not triggering. I assume that "issuetype" is not an option for the IF? Conversely, "Type" is not available for When?

With server you can you view automation logs to run a test and see where it is falling out? 

Ok so I tested with no permission conditions on the transition back to Open and automation ran successfully.

Because we don't want to have the Open transition available to all users. I added Automation for JIRA to the Administrators group and reapplied the permission on the Open transition and ran the automation again. It was successful.

I'm going to play around with this a bit to make sure it is solid but thank you so much for your assistance.

Audit for issue type automation.jpg

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2017

You could use the Automation add-on to transition the issue back into the approval status if it is in a status after approval but hasn't been in the manager approval needed status.

Davina Tsosie September 6, 2017

I'm not too familiar with Automation rules. What would one like this look like?

If issue is moved to Enhancement or Net New issue type have it automatically transition to Open status (regardless of current status)?

Thanks,

Davina

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 6, 2017

On issue update / edit / whatever other events if status in (anything after your approval needed status) and status was not in (your approval status) then transition to Open

specifics will obviously differ based on your workflow

Suggest an answer