How can I set the burndown chart to count the subtask hours too, not just the stories hours?

Csaba Schwarczinger February 27, 2018

We use the story points for the main backlog items, and we create subtasks for them. 

We write the estimated and remainig hours just on the subtasks. 

These hours are summed correctly in the parent story item, it works well. 

The problem is on the burndown chart: I use it as the Original Time Estimate is choosen in the dropdown, but it not counts the subtask hours, the reamining red line is flat (because there is no hours estimated and logged directly to the story items.) 

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2018

You don't, Jira Software doesn't do it.  It expects estimates at story level.  You'd need to rewrite Jira Software to do it.
There is a swift hack you can do if you have one of the scripted field add-ons - create a field on the parent that adds up the hours and change your estimation statistics to use that instead.

Csaba Schwarczinger February 27, 2018

I don't understand, that why JIRA doesn't handle this request, but ok, I accept. 

Do you have some tutorial how to add that custom field properly?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2018

Because you commit to doing stories in a sprint, and a story is either complete in the sprint or not (and if it's complete, then you burn down).  You don't commit to doing a story and then say "well we got halfway through it" at the end of the sprint.  It's either done or not.

What scripting add-on do you have?

Csaba Schwarczinger February 28, 2018

We have got not any, can you suggest us some? Free is a better choice :)

Csaba Schwarczinger March 8, 2018

Anyone has some advice how to go forward in the process?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2018

@Csaba Schwarczinger, first it might be worth searching the Community for other threads on this topic as there are many going back to 2013 I think. Here you will find what others have done as 'work-arounds'. That aside, to Nic's point you might consider a scripting add-on, e.g. Scriptrunner or Power Scripts to name a couple. There are others, just check the Marketplace.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2018

There are no free scripting add-ons that can do this.  I'd usually use ScriptRunner (because I've been using it for a decade, and it was acquired by my current employer about a year after I started with them, so I've some bias)

A scripted field to add up numbers on sub-tasks is very easy with ScriptRunner, but you are going to have to think very carefully about how you use it (start with some thought about whether you put any time at all on stories at all, and if you do, how to ensure it's not double-counted)

Csaba Schwarczinger March 23, 2018

Thanks. If we need it very much we'll try it. 

0 votes
Jeff Condit August 13, 2018

Has anybody tried applying Stories to stories and Hours to tasks.

Then ALSO have the hours field on the story. You could keep the original hour estimates on the tasks but keep up with the hour burndown during the sprint

Suggest an answer