How can I see more fields in the backlog list (Plan mode), like assignee , report ?

Leo Liao May 20, 2014

Hi, I would like to see more information when I setup the sprint in Plan mode, but too many stories, I want to know the coresponding assignee , but now it just have the key & subject , no more. What should I do ?

4 answers

5 votes
Steve Adey December 17, 2014

I have a custom field in issues that contains and external numeric ID.  How would I display that for each issue in the Backlog list in the Plan stage of JIRA Agile?

4 votes
bdupree August 23, 2019

If anybody out there is still trying to figure this out, I was facing the same challenge as @Joshua Balsillie here... I was only seeing the same 6 fields in my Backlog view using JIRA cloud. After reading the documentation about customizing cards, I still didn't get it. That sounded like it would update what you see on cards when using Active Sprint boards (for example). What I realized after adding 3 custom fields to Board Settings > Card Layout was that the changes also reflect in your Backlog view. The added fields show up on a "second row" for the long rectangular card. This met my needs! FYI, I chose to add details of where a defect lies within the Module, and what Component of the module it impacts. I also added a third field to show Severity. 

1 vote
Joshua Balsillie October 1, 2018

@Leo Liao

I just came across the following article:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/customizing-cards-764478020.html

Probably going to look into this myself.

0 votes
John Paz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2014

You can configure the colors of the cards within the Agile board (including the Plan mode backlog view) to display based on assignee. Meaning a different card color would be used for each user. User1 displays a red mark, User2 a purple, and so on.

This would accomplish what you are trying to do.

To do this, while viewing your board, go to Board > Configure Board > Card colors, then change the Colors based on field to Assignees.

If you want to get more complex than this, you could create JQL queries for each type of category, which enables you to base card colors on whatever you like, including the reporter field.

Let me know if this solution doesn't seem like it would work for you.

Kamila Kraba September 16, 2017

Is this the only way to add additional filters to the board view?

Joshua Balsillie October 1, 2018

@John Paz1 (not sure why your @ name has a 1 but not in your post :P)

I think what @Leo Liao is after is something like the filter results gadget on dashboards. A way to customize the information you see.

For me in Jira cloud I see the following:

1. Issue Type (icon)
  2. Summary
  3. Assignee (image)
  4. Key
  5. Priority (icon)
  6. Story Points

I'd be interested in customizing this for each board independently.

Like # people like this
Georgi Kolev December 5, 2018

Did you find something useful about this one?

Thilina Sampath January 3, 2019

@Joshua Balsillie Yes I'm also looking to customize the field list mentioned above and add few more fields. Can someone help on how to do that.

Joshua Balsillie January 4, 2019

@Thilina Sampath

Have you tried the steps in the following article?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/customizing-cards-764478020.html

There is a section on how to add or delete fields, but I haven't attempted it myself yet.

Like # people like this
ytoeda November 4, 2019

I had the same question and Josh's link solved my problem. Thanks!

Suggest an answer