How can I see a list of tasks that may not be assigned to a project?

Karen Watts July 30, 2021

Somewhat new so any help would be appreciated?

3 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2021

Hi @Karen Watts -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Issues in Jira (such as Task) are always in one-and-only-one project.  They are never stand-alone outside of a project.

Instead, do you mean which Tasks do not have a person assigned to them?

Best regards,
Bill

Karen Watts July 30, 2021

Thanks!  That is what I thought but someone told me that there could be orphan tasks.. so I was concerned!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2021

Karen, you may find some of this documentation helpful.  Please take a look at the page and you will find lots of topics for getting started with Jira Cloud.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/resources/

1 vote
Answer accepted
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2021

Hi @Karen Watts ,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Could you please elaborate your query? The tasks are created within a Jira project and task is just one type of issue.

Cheers

Suvradip

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2021

Welcome to the Community!

All issues in Jira live inside a project, the projects are containers for issues

I am assuming your "tasks" are Jira issues - it is very common to see an issue type called "task" - an issue is "something that needs some attention/action" and "task" is obviously a good match for that!  But you may also be seeing bugs, features, stories and so-on work the same as your tasks.

Anyway, as a task is a Jira-issue, then actually, you can't have any tasks that cannot be assigned to a project.  All issues can go into any of the projects.  Technically.

What I think you may be asking is "give me a list of issues that are not in a specific project".  A search for "Project != ABC" will find all issues that are not in project ABC.  You can (permissions allowing) move them into ABC if you need to.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events