How can I restrict the permission to end a Sprint in Agile Boards?

Robert August 25, 2014

We are using many different Agile Boards, each is based on a specific, exisiting jira-project.

Actualy Sprints appear on different boards - thats ok, but it is also possible to complete a Sprint in a board, where it has not been started.

How can i restrict these permissions, so that only the board-admin who "owns" the sprint can even close them?

3 answers

0 votes
Julia Wester [Wittified]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2014

You aren't supposed to be able to close a sprint without Project Administration permissions for the projects whose issues are included in the sprint.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Ending+a+Sprint

• You need to be a JIRA 'Project Administrator' permission in the project(s) whose issues are included in the sprint, to complete the sprint. For example, the filter for your board may be including issues from a project where are not a project admin. 

Did that person have that permission for the project(s) in the sprint? If so, there's not really any way to prevent that possibility. I would vote for this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-5035

0 votes
Robert August 26, 2014

Thanx John, but i need to know how i can prevent that a board-admin can close Sprints of other boards.

We had the case that a developer accidentally choose the Sprint of the wrong project "a" for his issue. The board-admin (board "b") didnt noticed that and closed this Sprint "a" (displayed in his board "b").

This should be prevented in future.
0 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2014

Hi, Robert.

If Sprint haven't started, you can easily remove it without having to complete a Sprint as is it not possible.

To end a Sprint, you need to had 'JIRA Administrator' global permissions or as a board-admin.

Suggest an answer