How can I restrict the permission to end a Sprint in Agile Boards?

We are using many different Agile Boards, each is based on a specific, exisiting jira-project.

Actualy Sprints appear on different boards - thats ok, but it is also possible to complete a Sprint in a board, where it has not been started.

How can i restrict these permissions, so that only the board-admin who "owns" the sprint can even close them?

3 answers

0 votes

Hi, Robert.

If Sprint haven't started, you can easily remove it without having to complete a Sprint as is it not possible.

To end a Sprint, you need to had 'JIRA Administrator' global permissions or as a board-admin.

Thanx John, but i need to know how i can prevent that a board-admin can close Sprints of other boards.

We had the case that a developer accidentally choose the Sprint of the wrong project "a" for his issue. The board-admin (board "b") didnt noticed that and closed this Sprint "a" (displayed in his board "b").

This should be prevented in future.

You aren't supposed to be able to close a sprint without Project Administration permissions for the projects whose issues are included in the sprint.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Ending+a+Sprint

• You need to be a JIRA 'Project Administrator' permission in the project(s) whose issues are included in the sprint, to complete the sprint. For example, the filter for your board may be including issues from a project where are not a project admin. 

Did that person have that permission for the project(s) in the sprint? If so, there's not really any way to prevent that possibility. I would vote for this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-5035

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Mar 05, 2018 in Jira Software

Jack Graves: Real Ale enthusiast with a knack for Jira Software implementation

@Jack Graves [AC] first caught our eye with his incredible breakdown of what, in his opinion, can make or break a Jira software implementation. (Read his thoughts on this thread)! In this follow...

96,844 views 4 14
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you