How can I recover my backlog activities?

Manuel April 22, 2019

Greetings.

I recently created a new workflow, and assigned it to one of my projects. After that, I lost all the activities that were in the backlog of that project. Is there any way to recover them?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2019

@Manuel , it sounds like your board's filter that is used to define the board isn't aligned to the workflow changes you made. I can't tell you precisely what to change as I don't know your previous WF or current one. With that said, please look at the current board filter and simply try to edit it along w/ the columns in the board to align w/ the new WF.

board settings > general - edit the board's filter (and sub-filter if it exists and is needed)

board settings > columns - ensure the new statuses are mapped to the proper columns

Manuel April 22, 2019

Thank you. I'm checking the filters on the project board. Apparently the problem occurred when I selected the migration from an old state to one of the new states. Also in columns, I had to add two of the new states.

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2019

Hey Manuel - Welcome to the Community!

Oftentimes when you move to a new workflow, the new workflow might not contain all of the statuses used by the previous workflow. In that case, JIRA will migrate from the old status to one of the statuses available in the new workflow. 

So, first, make sure that you have the Backlog status in the new workflow. If not, then that is the culprit. You would need to run a separate filter to see what changed from Backlog for the period of the migration. 

Otherwise, check Jack's answer above. 

I hope that helps!

Manuel April 22, 2019

Thank you for your suggestion, it seems that when I migrated the states, I placed the activities in the DONE state ... now I am checking through the filters the activities that are really culminated in the DONE state and the activities that are not completed but that are also in that state.

Manuel April 22, 2019

@Jack Brickey  or @John Funk  let me ask you, how can I change the status/state of an activity Out of a sprint?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2019

Suspected as such. First, you need to modify the new work flow to add a transition from Done to Backlog. I would place a condition on that transition that can only be performed by a group - then choose Administrators. Also, make sure you add a post-function to clear the Resolution field. And maybe clear the Resolved field also. Then you need to publish the new workflow. 

Second, you need to determine which issues need to be moved back. 

So, create a filter like this: project = xyx and status changed from Backlog to Done during ("2019-04-20", "2109-04-22")

where xyz is your project. Or if it was across multiple projects you could probably just drop that part. 

Once you have the list in the filter, then do a Bulk Change on all of those issues. Once you have selected all of the issues, choose Transition issues in step 2 of the Bulk Operation. 

Then in Step 3, choose the new Transition you created from Done to Backlog. 

Follow the rest of the steps and you should be good. 

Manuel April 22, 2019

Let me test it @John Funk . Thank you!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2019

I know it's a lot of steps, and I have, unfortunately, done it more than once during the Migration - it's easy not to notice that the statuses are changed. It's worse when they all default to Done instead of something less harmful like Backlog or In Progress.  :-)

Suggest an answer