How can I read "the dots" on my tickets in Jira

lisa February 9, 2021

Hi there,

I found out that the "..." dots are representing on how long a ticket as been in a column in my active sprint board.

My questions

However can somebody shine a bit of light on how I can read it? What do the different colors/amount of dots mean exactly? See below my screenshots also. 

What does 1 grey dot vs. 3 grey dots + 1 red dot vs. 4 red dots mean?

Screenshot 2021-02-09 at 15.33.35.pngScreenshot 2021-02-09 at 15.33.16.pngScreenshot 2021-02-09 at 15.32.22.png

Thank you very much!

Lisa

2 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Abel Lineberger February 9, 2021

If you mouse over (hover) the dots a popup will display the duration in status for that issue, ie. How long has this issue been in this column.

Capture.JPG

Specifically, 1 dot = 1 day, 2 dots = 2 days, 3 dots = 3 days, 4 dots = 5 days,  2 grey/ 2 red = 8 days, 1 grey / 3 red =12 days, 4 red dots = 20+ days.

See https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/customize-cards/#Customizingcards-UsingDaysincolumn

lisa February 9, 2021

Ah perfect! this is exactly the answer I was looking for! thank you very much! 

Like # people like this
3 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2021

Hi Lisa,

1 gray dot = 1 day

1 yellow dot = 2 days

1 gray dot with 1 yellow dot = 3 days

1 red dot = 4 days

Then you just keep doing the math from there. Max is 4 red dots so those cars are a minimum of 16 days in that column. 

But you can always hover over the dots to see the actual number of days. 

Abel Lineberger July 1, 2022

Have never seen a yellow dot in Jira Cloud...

And after 8 years of using the product... just noticed my first yellow dot!

Like John Funk likes this
Justin Princehorn June 29, 2023

Do the dots account for weekends too? or only count business days?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2023

Just business days

Deleted user July 4, 2023

Is there a way to get this info exported in CSV ?

Like AJ likes this
Chaves August 29, 2023

@John Funk how can we enable the dots on a Kanban board?

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2023

@John Funk unfortunately, there's a bug related to how the dots are not currently ignoring weekends.  The only way I've been able to see accurate information pertaining to how long an issue has been in progress is to leverage the WIP Aging Chart by StonikByte.

@Chaves open the Board Settings (3 dots in the upper right of the screen on the Kanban board, choose Card Layout on the left nav, then set Days in column at the bottom of the page.

Chaves August 29, 2023

thanks @Randy O_Neal for your answer. although at my version I only have "Card cover images" option... anything I'm missing?                          

Christian Tröster
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 18, 2024

The definition in this answer slightly differs from the explanation in the official docu, see the other answer.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events