How can I move all task + sub-task from one project to anohter?

Jop Hoenderods March 17, 2021

Hi all,

For a new project in our Business, I made a new project. I forgot to check if KanBan is supported in this project. 

Therefore I made a new project with the option to create a KanBan board. By doing this I wanted to transfer all Epic, Storys, Task, and sub-task to the new board. 

By following this tutorial (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-questions/How-to-bulk-move-issues-to-another-project/qaq-p/920146), it was/is possible to transfer all Epic, Storys, Task. But it is raising a permission error for moving sub-task to the new board.

Any idea to fix this issue?

Hope to hear from you,

Jop

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2021

Hi @Jop Hoenderods 

Could you provide a screenshot of the error you're experiencing please?

Thanks, Liam

HI Liam!

I can, but the error is in dutch: 

jira.PNG

Is this helpful or should I put Jira in English so you can read the error?

Jop

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2021

Hi Jop

If you could put it into English please that would be really helpful!

Here you are!

engels Jira.PNG

Jop

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2021

Hi Jop

I'd try it on a test project first.  But does it not automatically move the subtasks? If not, could you export them and then import them into your new project, then delete the old project?

Jop Hoenderods March 19, 2021

Hi Liam,

But does it not automatically move the subtasks?  -> As the error occurs, not...

If not, could you export them and then import them into your new project, then delete the old project? -> Export it to csv? Or Json? And how to import?

Jop

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2021

Hi Jop - yes, it should move the Sub-tasks also. The screenshot above is not an error, it is just an information page. Have you actually tried to move them and it gives you an error? If so, can you share a screen shot of that error? 

I would test with one issue and it's sub-tasks first to see what happens. 

Hi John,

I think you just made my day. 

I just moved all the items, and it worked...

Sorry for the inconvenience....

Have a nice weekend!

Jop

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2021

That's awesome, Jop!

I am glad it worked!!

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2021

Hi @Jop Hoenderods ,

Does the destination project count with the Sub-task issue type in its Issue Type Scheme?

If that weren't the case, it would explain the error being shown, and it could be fixed by adding the Sub-task issue type to the Issue Type Scheme:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/associating-issue-types-with-projects-938847092.html

Hope it helps.

Hi!

Thanks for your response, but the new project has in int Issue Scheme also the Sub-task issue available...

Jop

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2021

Hey Jop - have you thought about just creating a new board for your Business project and not having to move the issues? 

Hi John,

A colleague of my puts already 137 issues (Epic, story, tasks and sub-task) into to old board. 

I think I won't make any friends if I ask him to re-do his work...

Jop

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events