How can I migrate starter Jira licence to another virtual machine?

Szilvia Rinyu August 30, 2017

Hello,

I have created a virtual machine and installed latest Jira Software version. Everything went fine. But it turned out I have assigned insufficient disc space for Jira under a mount point.

So I shutted down the server modified the disc configuration but I ended up in some conflict that I was not able to resolve. Finally I decided to recreate the whole virtual machine with better configuration, so this approach resulted in new server ID thus the licence bound to previous virtual machine is not valid for the new virtual machine.

Is there any process/guide that describes how i can unassign licence from previous server and assign it to the new server?

Could you point to some description, please?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Szilvia

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 31, 2017

Hi Szilvia,
You actually don't need to remove that license from the old instance.  If you're not using that VM anymore, there won't be any conflict.   The Atlassian licensing for these products legally only will permit you to use that license on a single instance at any given time.   If you were going to continue to use that instance, you technically should remove the license from it.  But if you have decommissioned or deleted that VM, you should still be fine to grab the license key from your https://my.atlassian.com and then apply this to your other system.

It's a common misconception that the Server ID used to generate that license key has to match the server it was generated from.  In fact the license key created does not have to match that server ID.  So you should be fine to just apply this license to a new instance.

Cheers,
Andy

Suggest an answer