How can I make a field (i.e. epic link) a statistic type option in a gadget?

Penelope Vandt March 3, 2014

I would like to have a pie chart gadget based on "epic link" field. It does not display in the drop down. How can I get it to be in the drop down?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2014

Many gadgets require "stattable fields" - that is, they're unique, countable objects, so you can say "here's 4 X, 5 Y and 3 Z"

Epic links are not like that. There's an open-ended list of Epics that might occur, not a fixed list, and the links are all unique. That is, if you try to count Epics, you'll only ever get "1" as a result, and if you try to count links into them, you're going to get a random, open-ended range of numbers.

So you won't get it in the drop-down, because it doesn't make sense in terms of what they do.

Sabin_Coanda January 24, 2016

Also I'd need the required topic. What about to adapt the gadgets to other kind of group type? I mean not limited just to the "stattable fields" but to extend with the "relation fields", as well.

I find very useful to show a pie containing the tickets of a given filter, but grouped by the epic to whom they belongs. Another sample use case is to group by the parent tickets to whom they belong, s.o. Also the two dimensional gadget could be extended as well.

Basically the concept is the same. Let's suppose I have a filter which provides tickets with "open" and "closed" status only. It is the same as saying the tickets are related to "open" and "closed" status. Who cares how many status items are in total ? Only these two are relevant. The same situation would be if my filter provides only tickets linked to E1 and E2 epics only. Who cares how many epics are in total ? Only these two are relevant. I want to see the count of E1 and E2 tickets. It's the same to see the count of the "open" and "closed" tickets.

Would it be difficult to implement ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2016

That's the point - Status is "stattable", you can count items.  You can build pie charts with open and closed.

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2015

The field Epic Link does have discrete values, potentially quite a few, but no more than Labels which are stattable. I think that it would be very useful to be able to see those values in gadgets. The feature request is at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-35903

Suggest an answer