How can I install add-ins

tagamaga September 9, 2013

I just installed JIRA, however, I'm failing to install add-ins, this is the error I keep getting:

Installation failed!

An unexpected error occurred when trying to install JIRA Agile. Please check your internet connection is working. If this problem persists, please contact Atlassian Support.

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2013

From the look of the error you're getting there it seems the application can't connect to the Marketplace to download and install the plugin, most likely because of a proxy server or other network componnent preventing it from communicating with the outside world, so the best approach would be to try downloading the plugin and installing it manually as described in this document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/UPM/Installing+Add-ons#InstallingAdd-ons-Installingbyfileupload

If you still have problems with the manual upload approach, the next thing to try will be to make sure the Base URL of the application is correctly configured because this can cause problems with installing plugins, (amongst other things). You can do this by following the instructions in this document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+JIRA+Options

Hope that helps,
John

tagamaga September 10, 2013

Thanks John, this worked. I manually downloaded the add-ins I wanted and upon installation of the first one Remotable Plugins l18n plugin was Enable/ re-enabled (I had noticed it as Disabled from teh log but couldn't find a way of enabling it) and I was taken to some re-indexing section which I confirmed, then all was up and running again.

I'm sure Nic was making a lot of sense (technically) and as a Developer myself I really do understand him, but being new to this product, going through the log could be as unprofitable as having my 2 year old study the Rocket scientist's encyclopedia

Thanks for the user-friendly assistance

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2013

The difficulty is that there wasn't enough information. We've all seen this sort of error before, but I don't have a huge range of similar incidents to work from, I've used less than 100 Jira installations. John has the advantage of a much broader swathe of incidents and can pick out patterns that I can't see.

That's why I ask for the logs, they would have instantly told me that a re-installation was needed, even if you were not a developer and simply handed them over.

0 votes

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate your assistance. We are going to review the product and we'll get back to you at the end of our trial period, but so far so good, it's all thumbs up, after a few weeks of not so-happy ending searching for a similar product

0 votes

Failed to obtain the details of plugin with key com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira-key. Status: 404. URL: /rest/plugins/1.0/available/com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira-key

0 votes

I don't know if that makes sense or is what you were asking me about but that's one of the errors I am getting

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2013

That's a front-end error again, although it does give us a bit more detail. You do need to be looking in the application logs though.

Have a look at Admin -> System information. That should tell you where the logs are on the server.

0 votes
tagamaga September 9, 2013

I thot I posted the error in my initial message. The internet connection obviously working as I can post and respond using the same internet connection, there is nothing in my application logs.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2013

No, I'm afraid there's no logs in your initial question. There is the error message the user sees on the front end but there should be something in your logs if there were a true internal error.

However, if there is nothing in the log, then it's a strong possibility that your network connection is dropping or timing out while it's trying to install.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2013

I'm afraid there's not a lot we can tell you here. You'll need to start reading application logs, they should tell you what Jira and Agile think is going wrong. You should be able to find the logs by looking at your system information page.

Of course, the errors may not be clear enough to determine the nature of the problem, or make it obvious what you need to do to fix them. If that's the case, feel free to post the errors here to see if we can help you with that.

Suggest an answer