How can I incorporate GreenHopper Rank custom forms into searches/filters?

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2012

I need to filter my issues based on a number of fields, including GH rank fields. I have a rank field for each department, so for example, I want a filter that shows all items ranked #1 for 3 different departments, each of which has its own rank field.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2012

You can't use the GH rank field for filtering AFAIK, just for sorting. The actual value will be a large, arbitrary number. Unfortunately there is no top(n) operator like you have in sql in jql, so I can't see how you can have a query that returns the top 3 ranked issues per department or something else.

Also my understanding is you should have only one global rank field, there is no need to have a rank field per department.

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2012

Sorry, I don't know what AFAIK is. Here's the scenario in more detail:

I'm using a project to manage a backload of enhancement requests. Each department requests enhancements. A particular enhancement might be a top priority for Dept 1, but a #5 priority for Dept 2. The only way I'm aware of (and I'm new to JIRA/GH) is to create a rank field for each dept. Then they can use the planning board with a filter applied to see only issues that they care about (managed through a different custom field) and rank them. I set the sort order to be the Dept's rank field, so they can rank the issues as they see fit without impacting overall rank.

Let me know if this makes sense, if you need more info, or if (hopefully!) there's a better/simpler way to do this. Thanks.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2012

You may be entering into the realms of having to create your own jira report.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2012

Hrm, if that's your need, then your way is the only of doing it AFAIK (as far as I know).

I really don't think you can do this with jql, but maybe a jql expert will chime in.

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2012

Thanks, I'll take a look at the JIRA report link in just a bit. Here's the link to the page that made me think i COULD filter based on GH ranks:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/GreenHopper+5.8+Upgrade+Notes

Specifically the sentence that says "You need to manually update any saved JIRA filters that include the GreenHopper Rank custom field to use the new GreenHopper Global Rank field(s)."

Maybe i'm mis-interpreting that sentence?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2012

Could be referring to using it for ordering... which imho is the only thing it can be used for in filters.

Suggest an answer