How can I get new subtask issue types to work in my project?

Ryan Ovens May 17, 2021

I have a Software project that I want to create a new Issue type that is a "Bug Subtask". I have added that as per this guide but can't get it to reflect in the actual project. If I go into the project settings, I can't create a new issue type that is a subtask and it hasn't read that global setting. TIA

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2021

You've said Cloud in your question, but you've been reading a guide for Server/DC.  For a change, this doesn't actually matter, as the principles might be the same.

On Cloud, we can create team-managed (next-gen) or company-managed (classic) projects.  Server/DC only really has company-managed projects, and they're pretty much the same on Cloud and Server when it comes to issue types, so your reading was fine for them.

But my guess would be that you're in a team-managed project.  These don't have issue type schemes and only support a single "sub task type".

Ryan Ovens May 17, 2021

Right, thanks. I've just found the little version selector at the top in the docs so that'll help going forward.

I am indeed in a team-managed project where I would like to add an additional subtask type.

So the cloud version of the doc doesn't say anywhere that it only applies to company-managed projects. It would be a shame if that were the case. Can anybody confirm please?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2021

It's well buried, and mostly done by omission - the Cloud docs for team-managed projects just say "you can add a sub-task issue type with this box" and don't actually say "and no other types".  The docs for company-managed projects do talk about the issue type schemes.

Ryan Ovens May 17, 2021

Thanks, what a shame! It seems strange that something so simple would be purposely (presumably) omitted from the team-managed projects. It seems like team-managed is limited to a certain restricted mould. It is hugely useful to be able to have a bug as a sub task to a story within a sprint...looks like we’ll have to look for a clunky workaround! Any ideas? Thanks again

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2021

We only got sub-tasks at all for team-managed projects quite recently.  Team-managed projects are mostly built from the ground up, they're not inheriting code or structure from the classic/company-managed projects.

The simple answer at the moment is that team-managed projects really are for small, provincial, isolated and unshared teams.  They are relatively simple and although they're flexible as far as the team is concerned, they have a vastly limited set of functionality compared with company-managed projects.

I'd take a look at moving to a company-managed project if you need their power.

Ryan Ovens May 18, 2021

Great, thanks for your help.

Suggest an answer