How can I get my burndown to reflect subtask time logging?

Shawna Maas August 7, 2017

We currently use stories where there is only one resource working an effort or stories with subtasks where there are multiple resources (mostly a dev and then qa team member).  In the case where we use subtasks we are estimating time at the sub-task level and NOT at the story level (the story level is a sum of the sub-tasks).  Unfortunately when people log time against there subtasks the burndown is not burning down; subtask time entry is not be logged.  How can I configure this to work?

3 answers

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2017

If you look at a parent issue where you know some time has been logged on one of it's subtasks, do you see something like this?

Picture0008.jpg

Then also look below the burndown chart and do you see lines like this?

Picture0009.jpg

The right hand column is the remaining time in the sprint - possibly attach a similar screenshot for a few of the rows.

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2017

Hi Shawna

A couple of things to check :

• If you go to Board Settings -> Estimation, What is the Estimation Statistic that you're using? I think it would need to be Original Time Estimate for a "time" burndown. (you'll need to be a project Admin to change this)
  • When you view the Burndown chart in Jira, what is the Y-axis title? If it is Original Time Estimate, it won't show burndown because the original time isn't changing. It needs to be set as Remaining Time Estimate for it to show
  • Has it ever worked and now doesn't, or is this the first time that you're looking at the burndown?

Warren

Shawna Maas August 7, 2017

Hi - thanks for your response, the settings are and have been exactly as you mentioned above and still no dice.  Logging on sub-tasks doesn't impact the burn down (red line).  
We recently switched over to estimating on the sub-tasks over story level estimation so this is a new concept to the team.   

Shawna

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2017

@Shawna Maas, it has been awhile since i have been scrumming in JIRA so the following may not help. I thought that if you select "include sub-tasks" under Time Tracking for the issue then the time logging was accounted for in the burndown.

Suggest an answer