How can I get an Auth token for a user by password grant?

Raghav Mishra January 6, 2021

We have a scenario where we log in users into our custom application (and custom login)  and there they can check the issues allotted to them. These issues are taken from Jira and the issue tracking system we're using is Jira. However, We're unable to get the Auth token of each user, as there are no ways to get the Auth token through password grant. Is there any way I can get the Auth token to make API calls on behalf of my logged in user to make API calls?

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2021

Hi @Raghav Mishra 

You should be looking at JWT for connect apps and how you can do impersonation rather than getting a token for each user as that's what JWT would do on the background once you can connect your application with it.

Raghav Mishra January 11, 2021

Hey @Prince Nyeche Thanks for the solution. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2021

Hi! 

Please, checkout that page

https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/security

Raghav Mishra January 6, 2021

Hey @Gonchik Tsymzhitov 
Thanks for your response. But, this security page gives me an option to set the API token. What I'm looking for is a way, all my agents, once they log in with their Jira credentials into my custom support page, should be able to search for their issues. This search will be done by a JIRA API. This API needs an authentication token or my user's API token. I'm not sure how to get the Auth token Just by the user credentials. (please let me know if there is a method for this). and I cannot manually set the API tokens for all agents, even if they do set the API token, how will I retrieve them?

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021
Raghav Mishra January 11, 2021

Hey @Gonchik Tsymzhitov , Thanks. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events