How can I extract a report on sprint field changes?

Idith Eden February 20, 2018

Hi,
I would like as part of the retrospective to get some idea on how many tickets were added to the sprint and how many tickets where removed.
The easiest way to do it (I think) is to check on which date the Sprint field was changed to include or exclude the Specific Sprint name, is there a way to extract this data in Jira?

Explanation:

1) Extract all tickets that had/have, sprint field the value X in some point in the history

2) Each ticket might have more then one line in the report.

2 answers

1 vote
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2018

I can suggest at least two solutions with our apps.

Easy

Using the PDF View Plugin you can export the Burndown chart and the related "event table" to PDF.

And then "sprint scope" type events display what you want to see!

See this sample PDF.

jira-burndown-report-with-data-table

More manual, but also more flexible

1. You run a JQL query like "sprint = Foobar" in Issue Navigator to find the issues in the sprint.
  2. Then export these issues with their complete change history to Excel using the Better Excel Plugin.
  3. Then in Excel, you filter the "changed field" column to show you the changes of the "Sprint" field and maybe filter to hide those rows where the issue was added before the sprint start, as those are not "scope change".

See this sample XLSX.

jira-issues-selected-fields-with-change-history

Idith Eden February 25, 2018

Hi,
Thank you for the comprehensive answer.
The first option does not allow me to manipulate the data so I believe I will drop it.

For the second offer as I understand to extract history of issues I must have the better excel plugin, correct?
Also it will provide me information only for issues that was added to the sprint and I will be missing the ones that was removed, correct?

Thank you in advanced and have a great week a head,

Idith

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2018

For the second offer as I understand to extract history of issues I must have the better excel plugin, correct?

Yes.

Also it will provide me information only for issues that was added to the sprint and I will be missing the ones that was removed, correct?

No. It will support both. From the change history point of view, both "added" and "remove" are just changes in the value of the "Sprint" field. "Added to sprint X" is when the new value of "Sprint" is "X", while "removed from sprint X" is when the old value of "Sprint" is "X".

I hope this makes sense.

Idith Eden February 26, 2018

Thanks, I will look into it

Idith Eden February 26, 2018

It doesn't support Atlassian cloud :-(

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 26, 2018

That's true. At the moment it is for Jira server and data center editions, only.

Please vote for the cloud version here and tell you requirements, use case, etc.

Jvr SSK October 14, 2019

Hi I have the query with the sprint changes. But How can I see all the Stories at the Start of the sprint (for example at the end of the 1st day of the sprint) , so I can compare them with the "real time"?

I have like 3 cases/scenarios :

1.- Issue is created and added to the sprint  before sprint starts.

2.- Issue is created once the Sprint has started

3.- Issue is created before the sprint starts , and added once the sprint starts (from backlog to active sprint)

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2018

I'm not aware of a way of doing this using out-of-the-box Jira, apart from via the REST API.

Manually, you could look at the details below the Burndown chart and look in the Event Type column for the words Scope Change. Depending on how many issues you have in a sprint, this may not be a huge task.

Idith Eden February 25, 2018

Thank you so much.
I will look into the REST API

Your second option got me closer, as I copies the data to excel (yes, simple copy paste) and then from the Jira extracted missing information such as issue type and then manipulated data. a lot of work but currently this is the only way I see to get it.

Thanks a gain, and sorry for the late response, was busy testing your suggestions :-) 

Suggest an answer