How can I export my backlog and upcoming sprints (from a rapid board) into an excel doc?

Barron Wernick October 10, 2012

The business owner asked me to take a stab at prioritizing the backlog and upcoming sprints which I did using the new GreenHopper rapid board. Now, I would like to export it, maintaining the order I prioritized, and send it to him as an excel for review. I am primarily interested in exporting the stories, story points, and JIRA #. Could someone tell me how this is done?

10 answers

11 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2013

Add ORDER by Rank to the JQL clause. Also instead of sending the Excel to your business owner, share the filter with in, so that your subsequent changes in the ordering is immediately available for him/her. Excels sheets in emails will cause unwanted confusion.

Issam Najm October 2, 2017

You saved my day Sir!

Like # people like this
Carlos Antunes August 14, 2019

Awesome. Thanks Renjith. This query is really useful.

4 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2016

Unless Excel is a must-have, the PDF View Plugin can export your sprints and backlog to PDF documents (which can even be a simple table).

The nicety in this is that:

• it integrates smoothly with the JIRA Agile interface, adding an Export dropdown for each sprint
  • it preserves the ranking order!
  • it export the JIRA Agile-specific custom field types, like SprintEpicStory Points, in addition to the standard and built-in custom field types

See more info about this export type.

3 votes
Shawn Bellmore October 15, 2012

I was very interested in this as well. Apparently you can do it through the issue navigator using an advanced search and JQL. Here's my query for my open projects. You should be able to include epics in the query.

Click Issues tab at top > Search for issues then there is a link on the left window to Switch to advanced searchin

From there you will get a free form text field where you can enter the JQL statement to search for what you are looking for. Mine is below:

project = "projectname " and status not in (Closed, Resolved) and type=Story

Here's where some info is on JQL searching:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Searching#AdvancedSearching-FieldsReference

You can then configure the columns that Jira shows with what is needed for information or just export all available info into excel.

Hope this helps.

Barron Wernick October 15, 2012

Thank you - this definitely generates a list of all my issues in my current project which is helpful. However, what I am really looking for (and should have specified earlier) is to maintain the order in which I dragged and dropped my backlog items. There doesn't seem to be a data point for drag and drop ordering within the planning board. Ideally the query would read something like "Project = project name and type = story Ordered by = PLANNING BOARD" (Planning board being the the key here...)

Like # people like this
Kyle Puckhaber July 30, 2020

Did you ever figure out if/how you can do this?

2 votes
Rob van den Belt June 9, 2016

You can use Shift + Left click on the first issue followed by Left click on the last issue in the backlog-screen and than right click to export to Excel or other possibillities. See GreenHopper 6.2.2 release notes for more info.

Lester W April 8, 2021

Not in the SaaS (cloud) version of Jira sadly...

Like Raul Latashen likes this
2 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2016

This works for me for backlog and upcoming sprints:

JQL =>

project = <projectname> and (sprint = empty or sprint in openSprints()) and issuetype in (list of issuetypes except subtypes and EPIC) and resolution is EMPTY ORDER BY Rank ASC

Then export it to excel... smile

Keyran G April 8, 2021

Jira such a waste of time, not sure if Atlassian is trying to create an user friendly app so that Scrum Team and Scrum Master focus on delivery. Instead spend time unfolding the mystery of using Jira app. If given a chance I would like to recommend to create a user friendly robust application. Project Management and project management apps / tools  are not new to industry, yet Jira is complex and waste of time.

1 vote
Chris Hansen February 1, 2021

The notion of having to write custom JQL queries to export backlog items to Excel is....inelegant, to say the least. Additionally, the current export process inserts all sorts of iconography into the sheet which then has to be manually removed, line by line.

Maybe some day JIRA will take Agile Product Management and Software Development serious enough to solve some of these usability gaps and business workflow enablement concerns.

Product Managers, Product Owners and Project Managers (among others) need LESS time writing workarounds for feature gaps and complex JQL queries to get the info that they need.

JIRA's main popularity that spurred adoption is PRICE. I wonder how much effort those same organizations are spending doing idiotic customizations using JQL and form development - because that effort is a COST that should be included as organizations evaluate this product.

It almost seems as though the people who are doing product development at JIRA don't really have any experience using the product in mainstream business and IT scenarios.

1 vote
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2018

You can create Excel reports from the backlog view (i.e from any sprint or the project backlog) and from the board using the Better Excel Plugin. In all cases, the manual ranking of the issues is also preserved in the Excel file.

See this tutorial: http://www.midori-global.com/products/jira-better-excel-plugin/documentation/integrations#jira-software

Or the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRfGmCDgazQ

Christy Small May 23, 2018

hjh

Like # people like this
1 vote
Udai Kumar September 22, 2015

project = <Project name> AND Sprint = "<Sprint 3>" AND issuetype = Story ORDER BY Rank

this works

0 votes
Keyran G July 2, 2020

Jira is still a mystery application for me , while Agile/Scrum is light weight Project Management Methodology, these folks at Atlassian have made it so complicated and difficult to use.

Not user friendly and lacks basic necessities and does not confirm to standard business practices across the organizations. 

0 votes
David Strine January 9, 2013

+1 for this

I would love to export this for reproting purposes.

Suggest an answer