How can I export my backlog and upcoming sprints (from a rapid board) into an excel doc?

The business owner asked me to take a stab at prioritizing the backlog and upcoming sprints which I did using the new GreenHopper rapid board. Now, I would like to export it, maintaining the order I prioritized, and send it to him as an excel for review. I am primarily interested in exporting the stories, story points, and JIRA #. Could someone tell me how this is done?

8 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Add ORDER by Rank to the JQL clause. Also instead of sending the Excel to your business owner, share the filter with in, so that your subsequent changes in the ordering is immediately available for him/her. Excels sheets in emails will cause unwanted confusion.

You saved my day Sir!

I was very interested in this as well. Apparently you can do it through the issue navigator using an advanced search and JQL. Here's my query for my open projects. You should be able to include epics in the query.

Click Issues tab at top > Search for issues then there is a link on the left window to Switch to advanced searchin

From there you will get a free form text field where you can enter the JQL statement to search for what you are looking for. Mine is below:

project = "projectname " and status not in (Closed, Resolved) and type=Story

Here's where some info is on JQL searching:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Searching#AdvancedSearching-FieldsReference

You can then configure the columns that Jira shows with what is needed for information or just export all available info into excel.

Hope this helps.

Thank you - this definitely generates a list of all my issues in my current project which is helpful. However, what I am really looking for (and should have specified earlier) is to maintain the order in which I dragged and dropped my backlog items. There doesn't seem to be a data point for drag and drop ordering within the planning board. Ideally the query would read something like "Project = project name and type = story Ordered by = PLANNING BOARD" (Planning board being the the key here...)

You can use Shift + Left click on the first issue followed by Left click on the last issue in the backlog-screen and than right click to export to Excel or other possibillities. See GreenHopper 6.2.2 release notes for more info.

+1 for this

I would love to export this for reproting purposes.

project = <Project name> AND Sprint = "<Sprint 3>" AND issuetype = Story ORDER BY Rank

this works

Unless Excel is a must-have, the PDF View Plugin can export your sprints and backlog to PDF documents (which can even be a simple table).

The nicety in this is that:

• it integrates smoothly with the JIRA Agile interface, adding an Export dropdown for each sprint
  • it preserves the ranking order!
  • it export the JIRA Agile-specific custom field types, like SprintEpicStory Points, in addition to the standard and built-in custom field types

See more info about this export type.

Fazila Ashraf Community Champion Jun 09, 2016

This works for me for backlog and upcoming sprints:

JQL =>

project = <projectname> and (sprint = empty or sprint in openSprints()) and issuetype in (list of issuetypes except subtypes and EPIC) and resolution is EMPTY ORDER BY Rank ASC

Then export it to excel... smile

You can create Excel reports from the backlog view (i.e from any sprint or the project backlog) and from the board using the Better Excel Plugin. In all cases, the manual ranking of the issues is also preserved in the Excel file.

See this tutorial: http://www.midori-global.com/products/jira-better-excel-plugin/documentation/integrations#jira-software

Or the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRfGmCDgazQ

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Apr 22, 2018 in Jira Software

How-to setup a secured Jira Software 7.9.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.4 in less than 30 minutes

...PermissionsStartOnly=true User=www-data Group=www-data ExecStart=/opt/jira/bin/startup.sh ExecStop=/opt/jira/bin/shutdown.sh TimeoutStartSec=120 TimeoutStopSec=600 PrivateTmp=true [Install] WantedBy...

1,062 views 5 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you