How can I determine individual velocity?

Matthew Zach February 2, 2012

We've been using Jira/Greenhopper for several months now. As the manager of the team, I'm to the point where I'd like to be able to analyze the data to answer project management questions like:

What was the average time a user story has been in progress?

What is the average size of our user stories?

How do I calculate an individual's average velocity?

I have access to our Jira database and am adept in SQL. Are there reports available to answer these questions or should I query the database directly. If the latter, could you set me up with a couple starter queries?

Thanks

Matthew

1 answer

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2012

1. Average Time in Status gadget can be used in a Jira Dashboard to get the average time the user-story was in progress

2. Average size - No idea

3. Frankly, scrum does not talk about individuals velocity, it is team velocity. And I guess Green Hopper release board has this information. Of course you can set the context to have only issues belonging to an individual and check the per person data (this also means that the tasks are assigned to individuals rather than a team)

Suggest an answer