How can I delete orphaned sprints?

EdwardC January 28, 2015

Hi JIRA Support:

I've run into an issue where orphaned sprints from deleted boards still show up in my project. Is there a way to delete orphaned sprints after I've deleted the boards? The issue I'm having is the same as what is posted under the first response (copied support text) from this thread:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/295346

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

19 votes
Fred Chong Rutherford April 7, 2015

Hi,

I'm not sure if it helps, but I have an alternate that I tried. Assuming your situation was like mine, then this may help. This is also for anyone else who stumbles upon this.

This ticket outlines a solution in the comments - I followed the advice here and it worked
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-11263

1. Create a Filter that gets all issues across all projects
  2. Create a Board based on the filter from step 1
  3. Create a random Issue, and associate it with the Sprint that you want to delete
  4. The orphaned / unavailable Sprint now shows up in the Board from step 2
  5. Delete the Sprint (if it is in planning) or Close the Sprint (if it is already active)

This worked well for me and took about ten minutes; I had 20 orphan sprints to clean-up. 
Mayur Jain November 18, 2018

you sir are a hero, thank you!!!

Like Jim_Snape likes this
Stuart Tiedeman February 2, 2019

Brilliant - thanks for posting this...

Warren Sergent June 20, 2019

Sadly this is not an option in our case where we have literally hundreds (in fact, there's no way of determining how many either) of orphaned sprints due to a mass clear out of old projects.

We need a way to mass-delete empty/orphaned sprints - otherwise they show up in the Create/Edit issue Sprint dropdown.

Jim_Snape January 13, 2020

@Fred Chong Rutherford  Lifesaver, Thank you.

There should be a much easier way to do this though...

Michelle Lauer January 16, 2020

Thank you Fred!  This worked perfectly!

Richard Petrie January 24, 2020

Beautiful!! Thank you sir!

0 votes
WeAreAllJustinNow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2015

You can delete the sprint in the database.  

1. Take a backup of your system.
  2. Shut down JIRA.
  3. Find the ID of the sprint in question:  SELECT * FROM AO_60DB71_SPRINT
  4. Delete the offending sprint:  DELETE FROM AO_60DB71_SPRINT where ID = <ID>
  5. Restart JIRA
  6. Reindex.

The above queries are written in MySQL syntax.  You may need to tweak the syntax if you are running another database platform.

Suggest an answer