How can I configure JIRA Slack integration to use private Slack channels for notification?

Vladimir Vasić December 15, 2017

I am trying to configure Slack integration in JIRA Software cloud and I can only select public channels from Slack for notification. I've read that it should be possible to select private channels as well. Also, this should be possible without any additional JIRA Add-ons for Slack integration.

Slack JIRA integration config.png

7 answers

10 votes
Brendan January 8, 2018

You need to invite the JIRA Cloud Bot into your Slack private channel first.  

Go to the private channel in Slack and type in "/invite @Jirabot"

Then you should be able to select the channel from the dropdown list (or use the "/jira connect" option from within Slack) to complete the integration.

Vladimir Vasić January 14, 2018

That is exactly what I did. I've invited JIRA Bot to my private channel and then I tried to integrate Slack to JIRA (screenshot), but I don't see my private channels in the drop down list.

Like Svetlana Zabuga likes this
Brendan January 15, 2018

The screenshot looks like you are trying to add the Slack channel from the Project in your JIRA instance.  Instead, try adding your project(s) from the private Slack channel.

Within the channel type "/jira connect yourjiraname.atlassian.net" if you haven't made the connect yet, or simply manage your channel's subscription by typing '/jira' in the channel.

It will open a Slack integration page that is similar to the one you posted, but the difference will be that you'll be asked to select the JIRA projects you want to connect to the specific channel in Slack.

This was the method I used in our instance and was able to make the desired integration.   I wasn't able to do it the other way either.

Hope that helps!

Like # people like this
Vladimir Vasić January 16, 2018

Thanks for reply,

I'll try that.

Eduardo Heil April 24, 2018

It worked for me!

Thanks for sharing your problem and solution!

Rodrigo Robledo (external) January 26, 2019

Works for me too. Thanks!

Jaijash Tatia May 3, 2019

@Brendan's suggestion worked for me. These are the steps I took. 

1) Homescreen -> Projects -> Select Project that needs to be integrated. 

2) Left hand panel, select Project Settings. 

3) Left hand panel, scroll down to Slack Integration

4) If any project subscriptions delete ( I did, you can try it out by not deleting)

5) Open slack, go to private channel and type in "/jira connect yourjiraname.atlassian.net". NOTE: You need to integrate JIRA into slack first by signing into JIRA via Slack. 

6) Select project, connect. 

Like Wesley Ingwersen likes this
Richard Blakeley October 7, 2019

adding the project from the private channel via "/jira connect yourjiraname.atlassian.net" worked for me, thank you! 

Meenakshi Gupta October 31, 2019

After adding Jira bot to my private slack channel, I entered this command, but the project is not showing up in my slack channel now.

Do we need to have same email id for both slack and Jira to do this integration?

3 votes
Andrew Gerard August 6, 2018

Looks like the bot is named @Jira, not @Jirabot. Also, after enabling the Slack integration app in Jira, I try the "/jira connect" method listed above and it says "_Looking for Jira..._ :hourglass:
This Jira Cloud instance does not appear to have the Slack integration available"

Nathan Vergin December 5, 2018

It worked within our Jira Cloud install.   In testing, I created my notification channel as public and added, set up the integration and then manually added the Jira bot to the channel.  At that point, notifications were working just fine.  I then made the channel private, retested by creating a new ticket and notifications continue to function as desired.

I don't think that 2-step process is actually necessary but just wanted to provide feedback on how I had configured it using Jira Cloud and confirm that it does work... at least in our instance.

0 votes
renu.rawat June 19, 2020

I followed the above process and connected my JIRA Project to the slack channel I wanted. I see the updates on channel whenever new issues getting created. but I dont see the updates when issue gets edited, like status changes or comments added. what do i need to do get those updates too?

Brendan June 22, 2020

In your Slack channel, type "/Jira manage"

This will open the Slack Integration page for that project & channel.

From there you can set what notifications you want, i.e. An issue is updated, etc.

0 votes
Deleted user May 13, 2019

I like this feature, but I really wish there was a way to only track labels on Jira tickets and have them show up in a specific channel. I've only been able to have an entire Jira space populate within the channel I created in Slack. 

Logan Vantrease December 17, 2019

Hey Nick, drop us a line, would love to hear more about this feature you are looking for.

0 votes
John Tolle May 7, 2019

For those searching for a solution to the shotgun approach offered by Jira Cloud for Slack, please vote for this issue!

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/API-80

Personal Jira Notifications in Slack

As a user, I would like to be notified in Slack when tickets that are associated with me (watching, assigned, reporter, etc. as options) have been modified.

0 votes
John McGehee March 22, 2019

Invited Jira Cloud to your channel by typing this into your Slack channel:

/invite @jiracloud

Then follow the instructions to authenticate against Jira Cloud and select your Jira project.

0 votes
Steve Hansen March 14, 2019

It's not working as expected, another channel correctly shows the issue info, but a new private channel does not, it says that it is connected but nothing happens...

Jira Cloud APP [6:40 PM]
_Looking for Jira..._ :hourglass:

That Jira is already connected to this channel. Maybe you'd prefer to *manage your subscriptions* instead. You can also see which other Jira sites are connected to this channel with the `/jira` command.

Suggest an answer