How can I change an issue status when it's assigned to a sprint?

Eduardo Grajeda September 24, 2012

Hello,

I've been trying to configure this workflow, where I have these statuses:

(1) Incoming -> (2) Backlog -> (3) To Do -> (4) In Progress -> (5) Done

(1) and (2) are managed by the product owner, and an issue should move from status (2) to (3) when it is assigned to a sprint. This is because I want to have a Kanban board showing (1) and (2) so the PO can manage there all the issues, prioritize them, etc. And I want to have another Scrum board with (3), (4) and (5) where all the progress will be shown and where all the developers will be working.

Is it possible to do something like this? Any other solution that could simulate this workflow will be sufficient.

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, I accidently submitted it without finishing the explanation.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Deleted user September 24, 2012

Do you have GreenHopper? For me 1 & 2 sounds like the things you do in the Plan view and 3, 4, and 5 is what you see in the Work view. I think that solution is great.

The 1&2 won't change the status, it is just something you do. Personally I don't see that it fits well in a workflow.

Eduardo Grajeda September 24, 2012

Yes I have it installed. As you said, (3), (4) and (5) are exactly what the Scrum board provides, and I use it as such without much modification.

I revisited the plan view and see if it could work out, but what is lacking is the ability to have another column that isn't the Backlog where I will add ncoming items (from one of the feedback buttons that we have on our website) and leave the PO to prioritize them accordingly. I wanted to enable that using a Kanban board, if there was no other better way.

Deleted user September 24, 2012

There is a work practise, which I personally do not prefer, which is to create a version called Backlog. So if you do that you have a workflow which is first to accept issues to the Backlog (1 -> 2), in reality setting Fix Version to Backlog. The next step is planning which is to move issues from the Backlog to the sprints (2 -> 3).

Eduardo Grajeda September 25, 2012

I tried some more things and finally your plan view comment did the trick and gave me the idea of what to do.

What I finally did is that first, I changed to the Greenhopper workflow, then in the Kanban board for the PO added two columns (Incoming, Backlog) that basically does what you suggested later with the Fix Version thingy. Later, in the developers Scrum board I added four columns and made the first one use the "Backlog" status, that way when planning the sprint I won't see the "Incoming" issues.

And finally, in the Kanban board I filtered out all the issues that were assigned to a Sprint, that way the PO only sees the issues that are not currently being worked on, if he wants to see that we're displaying the Scrum board in his Dashboard.

Thanks for the help.

Suggest an answer