How can I block new users from creating Next Gen Projects?

Ronald Smith October 31, 2019

I have never used Next Gen projects, but others here have them. I created a project for external users to see issues that we are using to track milestones for them. I have created it's own group with its own permission scheme. They can only see the new project. The issue I see is that they still have a Create Project button. That button has Classic Projects greyed out, but Next Gen Projects are still available. Where can I remove the create permission from this user? Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2019

Hello Ronald,

Thank you for reaching out.

To restrict users from creating Next-gen projects, you just need to remove them from the groups added in the Create next-gen projects Global permission or remove the groups from the permission itself. These would be the steps:

- Navigate to JIRA Settings > System > Global Permissions

- Under the permission Create next-gen projects, Identify the groups that are allowing your users to create next-gen projects and remove it, or navigate to User Management and remove the user from those groups.

P.S: If you select the last suggested option, make sure you will not be removing them any access when removing the users from the group.

Let me know if this information helps.

Ronald Smith November 1, 2019

Thanks for the answer. I knew it had to be somewhere, but could not find it.

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2019

Hello Ronald,

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

By default, next-gen projects can be created by anyone, since it’s independent of any classic projects configuration and won’t affect other projects. 

With that said, administrators can remove this permission and users won’t be able to create new next-gen projects and for that, it’s necessary to go to Jira settings > System > Global permissions and then you can grant or delete permission to create next-gen projects.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

Ronald Smith November 1, 2019

Thanks, Angélica!

Like Angélica Luz likes this

Suggest an answer