How can I analyze Custom Fields, ID's and Context?

John Pfotzer April 9, 2021

I am want to track, analyze or report on Custom fields, their id's and how they interact in Context. Does anyone know a tool, or app, or a script or some how I can manage these three elements?

Thanks

John

4 answers

0 votes
Alexey Dorofeyev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2021
0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2021

Hi @John Pfotzer

there are several Apps out there, for example Trudy already mentioned the Configuration Manager which accompanies "Power Admin" of the same vendor - this is a useful tool when doing such assessment.

To be honest, past showed that the plain inventory is not sufficient - even if done right and regularly. I came across several requirements where I used Confluence to record data about a Jira instance including Custom Fields - who ordered them, how they are configured and what is probably special about them.

What really helped a lot was a look into the book "Jira Strategy Admin Workbook" which also provides several Worksheets, here is one for an inventory of custom fields in case it comes useful for your case:
https://www.jirastrategy.com/store/en/worksheets/62-jira-custom-field-audit.html

In case you seek a broader overview the book is worth having a look into, you can find more information here:
https://www.jirastrategy.com/store/en/13-books

Other than that mentioned useful information I also found on the following page:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/clean/clean-up-your-jira-instance-1018788592.html

This however rather aims towards a cleanup than an inventory whereat both tasks go hand in hand most times - so this document could also be worth having a look at.

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2021

Hi @John Pfotzer 

Are you trying to generate the report on custom field usage?

There is a really good page from Atlassian that talks about not only finding the usage of the fields but also some best practices. You will find lot of SQL queries that you can run on your Jira database using native database tools.

What I personally prefer doing is to dump the output of these sql queries into an Excel sheet for further processing and I also use ScriptRunner for Jira to run these database queries or use Jira Java apis to find specific information.

Ravi

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2021

I haven't worked with JIRA Server for a few years, but I recall that this app offered some features around managing custom fields. I never used the app, and there may be others that offer similar features. 

Configuration manager for jira 

Suggest an answer