How can I add versions to my scrum backlog?

James Stewart July 23, 2019

I have Jira scrum.  In the backlog, where the sidebar with "versions" is missing.  I can't see versions anywhere.  How can I manage versions with the Jira Scrum/Agile project, when Versions is not part of the new sidebar?  I would appreciate your advice.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2019

Hi James,

I looked at your account and it appears you're using Jira Cloud.  If that is the case here, then there are potentially two different types of Scrum projects you could be referring to: Classic or next-gen.

I'm willing to bet that your project is a next-gen project.  These projects do not yet have the ability to add versioning (aka releases) like the classic projects do.  There is an existing feature request for this in those projects in JSWCLOUD-17260.  I would recommend watching that issue for update and voting there to help our development team prioritize feature improvements here.

If you're not sure which type you are using here, you should be able to see this in the bottom left corner of that backlog page like so:

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 3.51.46 PM.png

If you were using a Classic Scrum project, then you would likely have a different view here that has that version tab in the backlog like so:

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 3.53.43 PM.png

I hope this helps to clarify.

Andy

Suggest an answer