How can I add a link to a project board from the JIRA sidebar?

John Theuerkauf December 20, 2017

I would like to have a single click to a project board while viewing the overall JIRA dashboard.

2 answers

0 votes
Joshua Balsillie July 9, 2018

Related, but think it's speaking to Jira Server, as opposed to Jira cloud. In the comments it's suggested it's not possible with cloud as well.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-can-I-link-directly-to-a-specific-planning-board/qaq-p/67742

I tried to find my board ID in this fashion but for all my boards I get the following:

https://[company].atlassian.net/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?[...]

0 votes
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2017

Hi John,

Each board is having its own ID which is known as a RapidBoard ID in the URL. If you open an existing board and check the URL you should get that, you can then copy paste that URL in a new shortcut in the project sidebar.

Hope this helps!

John Theuerkauf December 20, 2017

Thanks but I want the board to be available in the JIRA sidebar, not the project sidebar.

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2017

If you're talking about Jira Cloud's sidebar (new layout), there's no way to add custom links in it as far as I know. Unfortunately I can't confirm as I'm running Server instances here.

Cheers

Andreas Hoppe May 30, 2018

I also would like to have such a feature. Since we switched to the cloud I cannot navigate to my preferred dashboard as quickly as I used to do

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2018

your best option (or an option) is a bookmark on your browsers Favorite bar.

Andreas Hoppe May 30, 2018

The idea is not that bad, I think I'll do it. But anyways I can't understand this design choice. Accessing the issue search also takes longer now then in earlier versions.

John Theuerkauf May 30, 2018

Agreed - we lost a lot of one and two click functionality with the latest design.  I am not seeing a lot of benefits from removing those items.

Amy Strange August 13, 2018

It takes longer than you would expect to navigate to boards (especially when you have a lot of them), it would be really useful to be able to add a sidebar or widget to the main dashboard screen with customised  deep links.

Christoph Zürcher April 20, 2020

I agree here. I really miss a way to directly put links to board in the navigation. Boards are for most of us more importnt than the filters. So I think it should be simiar to this (have an own poin int the top bar, allow favorites). Or in minimum create a gadget to allow board links on a dashboard.

Suggest an answer