Honestly, does anyone else feel that the Jira Software Server platform just sucks?

Jason_Macer December 6, 2019

Here is what really upsets me, they sold me a product that on their website said there was support, it didn't say community support, it specifically said 12 months of support and upgrades, but after buying this I find out it doesn't. I have the screen shots and all to prove it, but they don't care. "Oops we forgot to remove that from the checkout section, but you can use the community." I wish we had never heard of Atlassian, and here's the thing, only (1) person in our team likes it, but now i'm stuck with them. 

I can see where there are some decent features that I might like if this worked, and though there's only 7 of us here right now, we're going to be expanding next year, and they are going to want us to pay $2,500 for that license, and we cant even get this thing working to begin with?  

This is installed on a CentOS7 machine with 8 cores and 12 gb ram, then the installation instructions were followed to the letter, twice). There are so many issues with the install from instructions I don't even know where to begin. The biggest three are:

1.) I can't delete webhooks

2.) I can't delete boards (i go through the agile menu and hit delete and NOTHING happens), plus I have an abandoned board that still remains after deleting its containing project.

<<RESOLVED>> 3.) The "export" whole system and "import" only a project doesn't work. 

4.) Following their instructions on how to enable SSL doesn't work. It just dies.

5.) Configuration changes to Kanban boards do not save.

I have been watching the log files for anything when I'm trying to isolate the problems that this is just irritating beyond all sense. Heck, I might be looking at the wrong log files.

Does anyone know where the best log files to see WTF is actually going on are? I would greatly appreciate any help provided.

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2019

The community is happy to try to help anyone who has problems, we don't care about the size of the install (well, we do, as sometimes the number of people using it is technically important, but not when we're trying to help)

To jump right into it, could you give us a bit more info on the questions?

1. What are the symptoms of "can't delete"?  Does it do what you report in 2?  A click and nothing happens?  Or are there error messages?
  2. That one is pretty clear, but is "nothing happens" just that the link responds to the click, but the screen does not change?
  3. Where is the export/import failing?  Are you able to get a whole-system export, but then get errors on import into the other system?  If so, what are the errors?  If it's not, then could you tell us in more detail what is failing?
  4. Is the SSL for Tomcat, or are you doing it on a proxy?  Which doc are you following, and where are you doing it differently to what the doc says?  (That sounds quite judgemental, like I'm saying "you have not read/followed it", but that's not what I mean.  SSL config is very very sensitive and one tiny thing can mess it up and give you absolutely zero information on where it might be wrong.  I'm looking for those tiny things where you don't use exactly what is in the docs, like the spelling of your chosen domain for the certificate, or the exact naming of the server in .xml or .conf configuration files)

Finally, to confirm where you should be looking for problems, start with the application log.  <jira home>/logs/atlassian-jira.log - this should be capturing the errors being thrown in the first three problems and might report some of the fourth in some cases.  We'll need to know what type of SSL you are trying to tell you which logs to check though.

Jason_Macer December 6, 2019

Thank you for the response Nic. 

Right at this moment I am away from my computer, but when I make it home I will respond.

thank you again.

Like # people like this
Jason_Macer December 7, 2019

Good morning Nic, I apologize for not responding last night, however it was nearing midnight by the time I made it home.

To begin with I'm going to respond to 1, 2, and 3 above, but wait on 4, thought I do have that info, it is only a minor irritant at this time.

(ONE) - back ground: working to integrate with a mattermost application. <click GEAR> -> <click 'System'> --In Administration on Left Menu-- <click 'WebHooks'> -> <select WebHook to delete> -> <click 'Delete' at bottom> --MODAL POPUP-- 'Please confirm that you wish to delete WebHook 'NAME OF WEBHOOK'.' -> <click 'Delete'>--MODAL CLOSES-- and error on page = 'Error deleting WebHook 'NAME OF WEBHOOK'. Please retry later.<p>Status: 0: error'

ALTERNATELY UPDATING WEBHOOK -> <select WebHook to edit> -> <click 'Edit' at bottom> --MAKE CHANGES-- <click 'Save' at bottom> and error on page = 'Error submitting WebHook data. Please retry later.<p>Status: 0: error [[ See Log Result => https://pastebin.com/raw/h4j5iEm9 ]]

(TWO) - back ground: there are (2) projects on the system [IIH (new) and WEL (partial imported from CSV from cloud)]. there are (4) boards on the system [IIH Board (IIH project), LAB Board (was part of a previously deleted project), and TestBoard && WEL Board (Both WEL project)]

My Attempts: 

A.) [From Dashboard] <click 'Boards'> -> <click 'View All Boards'> -><click '...' to right of 'LAB Board'> -> <click 'Delete'> -- MODAL POPUP -- 'Are you sure you want to delete board LAB board?' -> <click 'Delete'> -- MODAL CLOSES -- page does nothing and the board not delete.

tail -f & nano /opt/atlassian/jira/logs/access_log-12-07 is the only log for today (12-7) and it shows no errors [[ See Log Results => https://pastebin.com/raw/mWrZ7adt ]]

B.)  [From Dashboard] <click 'Boards'> -> <click 'LAB Board'> -- No Issues, only "Kanban Board" and "Reports" link to left, and if you click on "Reports" you get "This chart cannot be displayed" in main body -- <click 'Board' in upper right> -> <click 'Configure'> -> <click 'Board' in upper right again> -> <click 'Delete'> --MODAL POPUP-- 'Are you sure you want to delete board LAB board?' -> <click 'Delete'> --MODAL CLOSES -- page does nothing and the board does not delete and it shows no errors in the log.

(THREE) - background: we currently have a jira software cloud account but are migrating to an on-premise installation due to concerns regarding content we are going to be keeping in there.  There is only (1) project currently in the cloud version and we are needing to export then import that project.

Maybe I am mistaken here, but I thought I was should have been able to do this from Cloud to Server using THIS INSTRUCTION SET and THIS INSTRUCTION SET

A.) [In our Jira Cloud Instance] <click 'gear' icon in lower left> -> <click 'System' underneath 'Jira Settings'> -> <click on 'Backup manager' underneath 'IMPORT AND EXPORT'> ==> <click 'Create backup for server> -> <click 'Download Server Backup'> --SAVE TO LOCAL MACHINE--

B.) [On local machine] ==> UPLOAD TO jira server in /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/import/ <FILE UPLOADS HERE>

C.) [On Jira Server via SSH] -> {# chown jira:jira jira-export.zip} && [# chmod 755 jira-export.zip}

D.) [From Jira web access] -> [[GO http://mydomain.com/secure/admin/ProjectImportSelectBackup!default.jspa]] -> {filename* = jira-export.zip} -> <click 'Next'> ==> screen changes to "Processing Backup..." -> {after 3 - 5 seconds error: There was a problem parsing the backup XML file at /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/jimport/jira-export.zip: No 'key' field for issue 10036. [[See Log Result => https://pastebin.com/raw/RWKABpac ]]

There already exists a key field, for both the project AND issue, which I know because i have used the Exporter Plugin to export the project (Which is where the WEL project came from ) and I had to map all of the fields that I could, and i was able to map the issue key to the issue key, However the import does not maintain the assignment between epics and their stories and tasks.

ANNNNND using this import brought up a new issue: 

(FIVE) - background: [[In Project Kanban board]] We are attempting to get the "backlog" link to show up in the left hand menu under "Kanban board," which we have currently in the jira cloud instance.

A.) [FROM Kanban Board of Project] -> <click 'Board' in upper left corner> -> <click 'Configure'> -- CONFIGURE BOARD -- -> <click 'Columns' under 'CONFIGURATION'> == DRAG 'backlog' from "Backlog" column to space under 'Kanban backlog' in the area marked << Drag a status here to enable>> [[ I do not see any "save" button ]] -> <click on 'Boards' at the top> -> <click on 'board name' just configured> {No changes saved and no errors on log}

Thank you again for your help!

Jason_Macer December 8, 2019

Nic, I believe I might have taken care of the export/import issue, as I basically restored the cloud system backup and overwrote the system. From there I exported the project itself, and I'm now ready to import it, however, I need to delete the existing project/boards before importing as there is already a board named one of them. 

So now, I'm running into the (FIVE) issue above with not being able to delete boards, or even rename them. Again, the atlassian-jira.log file shows no activity, and the board does not change name, or even delete.

Jason_Macer December 9, 2019

Nic, I was able to export the whole appliance then import it and overwrite my current installation, this is after a backup of my new installation. From here I was able to export the project, then restore my old instance and import it.

Definitely now running into the (FIVE) above as we cannot delete the old boards, or even save the configurations. It kind of makes me think that (ONE), (THREE), and (FIVE) are all somehow related. And actually I did just confirm that any changes I make to a "board" are not being saved. Initially it will show the change but on page refresh the change is reverted.

There still is an issue with the WebHooks not being able to be modified and saved, and the whole SSL bit.  On that note is it easier to use apache httpd to redirect to 443 and https? We are using an existing wildcard certificate that I have installed on several other machines.

0 votes
Jason_Macer December 7, 2019

Nic, I believe I might have taken care of the export/import issue, as I basically restored the cloud system backup and overwrote the system. From there I exported the project itself, and I'm now ready to import it, however, I need to delete the existing project/boards before importing as there is already a board named one of them. 

So now, I'm running into the (FIVE) issue above with not being able to delete boards, or even rename them. Again, the atlassian-jira.log file shows no activity, and the board does not change name, or even delete.

Suggest an answer