Hide right panel in issue view

Jason Burdey October 7, 2020

Is it possible to hide and/or shrink the right panel when viewing an issue in issue view? Sometimes I just want to focus on the description and the issue but the right panel is taking up alot of room (1/3 of the page width)

14 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Liron
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 10, 2022

Hi all,

We just released the ability to resize the right hand sidebar in the new issue view.

Hope this solves the problem!

Cheers,

Liron

Andrew Tolley May 10, 2022

Great - thank you!

An Vo Nguyen Tam May 10, 2022

Cool, it's much better now <3 

rgi_manning May 11, 2022

Agreed!   Thank you very much!  This is a great improvement.

Nancy Mooney May 11, 2022

Thank you.

Bell Witkowski May 12, 2022

Would it be possible to also add expand/collapse to the right hand panel in the future? The resize is great but my personal preference is to use expand or collapse maximizing my total screen area when I write. Thank you in advance for your work.

Like # people like this
Liron
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2022

yes I have opened a JAC ticket for this. We will be exploring that in the future.

Thanks all!

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-79327

Like Boris Bayle likes this
Kalpesh Panchal September 21, 2022

The right hand pane information is not relevant while working on the issue where you need the full real estate of the page to put in your content.  It is just in the way.

I am constantly scrolling left and right to see the content I put in.

Normally on a high resolution monitor this would be ok, on a laptop, there is a little screaming involved.

It should be collapse-able.

Like # people like this
Tom Buttner December 2, 2022

This change isn't visible to me on 8.20.11. What version of Jira do I need to ask my IT team to update to to pick up this change? 

Liron
Atlassian Team
December 8, 2022

@Tom Buttner - apologies for not being clearer - this change was rolled out in Cloud. 

Boris Bayle
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 19, 2024

Same for me. please add collapse/uncollapse for the right panel.

I kill my eyes with this right panel I dont need when editing the description..

18 votes
Nancy Mooney October 19, 2020

I second the motion on hiding the right panel. It is massive and not necessary to view all the time. It makes the main center panel much too limited (sorry this is not an answer - just hoping Atlassian takes notice).

Dean Capp February 14, 2021

Yes, what a travesty of design! What were people thinking - were they thinking? and did they even test this???

Like # people like this
rgi_manning March 4, 2022

Just started using JIRA Cloud, and that panel has got to go... using up way too much real estate!

Like knedlik likes this
11 votes
quang.huynh January 14, 2022

For those who're still finding this, here is my solution: 

Add a bookmark in your browser, let's say it "Toogle"

In the address, enter this

javascript&colon;jQuery("[data-test-id='issue.views.issue-details.issue-layout.right-most-column']").parent().toggle();

Replace "&colon;" with ":" without quotes.

Now when you open a ticket, click on it to show/hide panel as needed

Toni Jordà January 14, 2022

Thanks, Quang, it works fine!

lana.went January 19, 2022

Hey Quang - were you able to do this on Chrome recently? My Chrome won't seem to allow me to add such snippets as bookmarks - it expects valid URLs?

quang.huynh January 19, 2022

Replace the part "&colon;" with ":" (without the quotes) so it looks like this

7B3F0979-6230-4182-AFF6-F727C2542A60.jpeg

Like Claudiu Avram likes this
lana.went January 19, 2022

OMG Quang - it worked - you've just dramatically improved my life - THANK YOU!!! :D

Like quang.huynh likes this
An Vo Nguyen Tam April 18, 2022

gosh you're a genius :)))) can't say how much I love this >.<

Jeffrey Simon November 24, 2022

What a great workaround! Perfect!

Deanna_Mirra April 3, 2023

Thank you patron saint of Jira, Quang!!

Matt Lavis February 24, 2021

Stijn, you are a star. This had been pretty much unusable.

Like # people like this
Zack Morris February 25, 2021

Wow that's really cool! I've tried to reply to this eleventeen times, but there's a bug in this forum that replaces javascript colon with &colon; so there's no way for me to paste the code verbatim, even in a code block:

javascript&colon;

And I can't reply to the linked issue, so here's a slight modification that also sets the css max-width to 25% to take up less space while shown, and I've included a second one that only changes the max-width but doesn't toggle visibility:

https://snippi.com/s/6nqpmo9

Just select one of the snippets and drag it over your browser's bookmarks bar at the top of the window (you may need to click Chrome->View->Always Show Bookmarks Bar).

Then you can right-click the bookmark, edit its URL, and change '25' to your desired percentage.

There's a bit of errata around this due to the unfortunate decision 25 years ago to use % to url encode characters in the browser, so:

e.style.maxWidth='25'+String.fromCharCode(37);

means '25' + '%' and is necessary for the bookmarklet to work in Safari. Other strings like '200px' just work without the +String.fromCharCode(37) portion.

I'm still looking for a way to run the bookmarklet automatically, but I don't think it's possible without a browser extension.

Tested in Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

Like # people like this
42Chris May 18, 2021

ZACH YOU ARE A GENIUS... Thank you. Now I can get some sleep at night. My toggle button has arrived and it works well. Thank you saviour of the internet.. may Karma give you a wonderful life!

Like David Caldarelli likes this
Daniel Miller May 18, 2021

Thanks, works like a charm! For any new arrivals: create the bookmark (ideally on the top bookmark bar) from one of the snippets, editing the "url" as desired for a different percentage. Navigate to a Jira ticket and then invoke the new bookmark. Your browser does not leave the JIRA ticket - instead, it imposes the Javascript fragment on the JIRA ticket, reducing or hiding the right panel.

Like # people like this
Nancy Mooney May 18, 2021

This is a thing of beauty. Already shared with coworkers. Thank you Zack!

But seriously JIRA - fix this!

Like David Caldarelli likes this
ysabelle.torres May 23, 2021

Thank you so much, Zack! What a saviour :) 

Andrew Tolley June 17, 2021

Just another grateful user - so much better to be able to hide the panel so I can focus on the important stuff!

Antonio García June 23, 2021

It's incredible that users have to figure out solutions on their own instead of Atlassian providing them.

Just terrible.

Like # people like this
Toni Jordà July 5, 2021

Great contribution, Zack

Thanks a lot!

4 votes
Paul Benson March 30, 2021

Yeah I really wish this was a feature in JIRA. I absolutely hate the right-hand panel because I can't shrink it. I just wish it operated like the left-hand panel with an arrow so I could collapse it or uncollapse it at-will.

2 votes
Daniel Miller March 24, 2021

Very disappointing and surprising. Just about every modern UI with sidebars gives the user some control over their display and sizing. Was this a purposeful "we know better than you the right way for you to work" decision, or an oversight?

2 votes
pvm30 February 17, 2021

Almost impossible to use this the way it is right now, even more difficult if you have a small screen.

I don't want to have 40% percent of my view width completely squandered by something I don't need at all.

Having a button to hide this shouldn't be so hard.

Forcing everybody to have to deal with this kind of "mobile first" point of view sucks ...

1 vote
Dean Capp March 24, 2021

Why is this company worth so much again?

1 vote
Stijn Beeckmans January 29, 2021

Does anyone know of a ticket to change the width of (or hide) righthand sidebar?

I found in their CSS that they have set the width of this panel to 40%... 

Changing the CSS of the .hvyTRk CSS class to

{

width: 10%;

padding-right: 0

}

in Chrome dev tools shows a much better layout...

Shouldn't be that hard to fix @[deleted]...

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2020

The short answer is no, you cannot hide the right panel. I saw in another thread that Atlassian is working on changing the view a bit, but not sure if that includes being able to hide/change the size of the panels.

Shashank.Mulay October 22, 2020

I too struggling. I need bigger description space. Right panel is not needed all the time. It is covering my half of the page.

Like Mike Buscemi likes this
Prashant Tajne February 15, 2021

Ya...the description needs more space..

0 votes
Mary Van Nostern June 27, 2021

Please move https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-21242 from Gathering Interest to Backlog.  There is plenty of interest ^^^^^ to be able to configure this OOTB for ease of usability.   Thank you! and my team of 800+++ thanks you!!

0 votes
Dean Capp June 17, 2021

Tx Zack!!! Atlassian, why couldn't you do this????

0 votes
Zack Morris February 4, 2021

A temporary solution is to create a browser stylesheet (I put mine in my home user folder ~/stylesheet-overrides.css) containing:

body > div.atlaskit-portal-container .hJPObX {
max-width: 300px;
}

#jira-frontend .hxewZo {
max-width: 200px;
}

/*
body > div.atlaskit-portal-container .sc-jhAzac:last-child, body > div.atlaskit-portal-container .dbCBBb:last-child, body > div.atlaskit-portal-container .hJPObX {
max-width: 300px;
}

#jira-frontend .sc-jhAzac:last-child, #jira-frontend .dbCBBb:last-child, #jira-frontend .hxewZo {
max-width: 200px;
}
*/

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 4.37.05 PM.pngI don't know why the width is different in embedded mode (https://<organization>.atlassian.net/jira/software/projects/TPI/boards/4?selectedIssue=<issue>) vs zoomed (https://<organization>.atlassian.net/browse/<issue>) but at least it works.

Unfortunately this solution isn't future-proof (because the classnames may change next time Jira deploys their site) but it's easy enough to right click -> Inspect Element on the right sidebar, find the new classname(s) and update the stylesheet.

Maybe someone with better css skills can find more-permanent selectors. A few of my attempts are in the commented portion above :-)

Stijn Beeckmans February 11, 2021

This doesn't work for me, 'cause I use the cloud version...

And class names seem to change every time i reload the page...

0 votes
Shivaraju Gowda November 4, 2020

Try disabling the "Jira labs" option in your Personal setting. This won't remove the right side information but will make it appear in the same panel as the description. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events