Hide empty/non required fields while creating JIRA using HTML link

Abhishek Malik December 3, 2020

I am following the article here to create a very basic template for my internal team who are not experienced with JIRA.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-create-issues-using-direct-html-links-in-jira-server-159474.html

When I create a JIRA using HTML all possible fields (custom and default) appear on the create screen. Is there a way to hide the fields that I don't want my team to populate? I  

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2020

Hi Abhishek,

that cannot be done from within the HTML link - you would have to remove the fields from the screen.

This, indeed, would imply that they are not visible on the screen - no matter if you use the HTML link or choose the path through "create" button.

Cheers,
Daniel

0 votes
Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2020

Hi @Abhishek Malik - are you hiding fields with default values that you don't want your teammates to change or are they fields that you automatically populate?

Abhishek Malik December 4, 2020

sample.pngThanks for your response Peter! You see all these empty fields, they are neither required nor have any default value. I want to hide these fields so that when my team clicks on the HTML link to create an issue, all they see are the required fields and the fields I want them to fill..

I am looking for something like customfield_10400=null(or hidden etc), some parameter that can hide the field from the display. 

And to your original question- I will populate some fields with default values but won't hide them. I only want to hide the fields that are of no use to my project and will confuse my team members as they will try to populate them.

Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 6, 2020

@Abhishek Malik

As @Daniel Ebers notes below, you would have to remove those fields from the screen. 

If you need to keep some of the fields, would it help if there were conditional logic to determine when to show them?

Abhishek Malik December 7, 2020

Thanks Peter and Daniel. What exactly do we mean by removing the fields from the "screen"? How do I achieve that?  For now, I would simply hide these fields without any need for conditional logic.

Abhishek Malik December 7, 2020

I guess I know what you mean. There is an edit screen option that is only accessible to JIRA administrator in my organization. I will check with the admin to see if they can selectively hide fields for just my project as we have 500 projects using the same fields. 

Thank you for your support. I will accept the answer from Daniel and you can close the case.

Like Peter Preston likes this

Suggest an answer