Hi :-) Need DB changes from Server V6.3.4 to Cloud

DiklaH October 31, 2017

Hi,

We currently have a V6.3.4 Jira on Server and wish to upgrade to Jira Cloud,

The thing is, we have a PHP application that logs issues into Jira. It is in the core of our organization and its crucial that it works once we upgrade.

We are sure there's some recoding to do to make the application and jira sing together - field types and names that change from V6.3.4 server to current cloud.

where can I see those changes in details (which table names, field names, field type etc. have changed)

Thanks a lot,

Dikla

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2017

Hmm.  No.

The database changes are useless to you.

To move your system on to Cloud, you need to do two things.  First, upgrade Jira to the latest version, going through 6.4, 7.0 and then to 7.5.  The process of upgrading a Jira handles all database changes for you. 

Once you've got there, the short version of the next step is to export your system to XML and then upload it into Cloud.  Where you have no database access at all.How is your PHP application currently creating Jira issues? 

I know it's not via the database because that will only work in one specific case which no-one in their right mind would do.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2017

I would tend to agree with Nic here.  It would be best to upgrade Jira to a 7.0.x version first, upgrade your plugins here and make sure Jira works on this version first, and then upgrade to a 7.5.x version.   It's not a bad idea to do this in a Staging Server, just to understand how Jira works in this new version and then see if your other php application integration still works.

The thing is that a lot changed in Jira 7.0.x.  For example, Jira deprecated SOAP/XML API so that it no longer works in Jira 7.  Instead it has been completely replaced with the REST API.  So if your php app was making SOAP API calls, you won't be able to use it with Jira 7 or Jira Cloud.   The other thing is that Jira Cloud doesn't have the all the exact same features as server, and vice versa.  They are very similar, but there are some cases where there are feature differences between the two.

DiklaH November 4, 2017

Hi Andrew & Nic,

Thanks a lot ,for your answers, let me elaborate my concerns:

As I have worked with JIRA DB before (for BI purposes), I know that, at least in the past, I had to make changes in my DWH after upgrades (tables names and field mapping changed, for example: the mapping of select list custom fields). 

The upgrade that I am about to do now from 6.3.4 server to 7.5 cloud is sure to have DB changes and other changes as part of it - And I Am sure they will reflect in our PHP system that reads from and writes to Jira. Like I said, this PHP system is the core of the whole organization, it has to be tested to 100% functionality before any upgrade will be allowed here.

Andrew mentioned moving from SOAP to REST API, ,this is something we have to address here - I am sure there are more. 

I will be very happy and much less worried sick about this upgrade if I can get my hands on all PHP relevant changes between these two versions. 

Thanks again for your assistance in this. I really appreciate it :-)

Regards,

Dikla

Suggest an answer