Having trouble running Jira DC on Macbook Pro with M1 Chip. Anybody solved it?

Craeg Strong
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 6, 2022

Greetings!

I have run Jira DC on my previous Macbook Pro for many years.   Ever since upgrading to the latest Macbook Pro with M1 Chip I have not been able to get Jira to startup correctly.   Has anyone been able to do this?  

I am using Docker with the official Atlassian images, and here are the commandlines I am using:

docker build -t jira-8.19.1 --platform linux/arm64/v8 .

docker run --env JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY=1024m --env JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY=8192m --name jira --platform linux/arm64/v8 -d -p 8080:8080 -p 5432:5432 jira-8.19.1:latest

This is the top of my Dockerfile

# Start with the official Atlassian Jira Software docker image
FROM atlassian/jira-software:8.19.1

Has anyone gotten Jira to run on M1? 

1 answer

1 vote
Andreas Krupp November 7, 2022

Hi Craeg,

I tried the build parameters as follows just now on a MacBook Pro as indicated in the docker Hub Page of Jira:

git clone --recurse-submodule https://bitbucket.org/atlassian-docker/docker-atlassian-jira.git
cd docker-atlassian-jira
docker build --tag my-image --build-arg JIRA_VERSION=x.x.x .

After that I simply started the docker container from the Docker Desktop UI and it worked without problems.

Funny enough, on my Windows PC, the same process works - but when starting the container in Docker Desktop I get the following Error:

Unknown option: -
usage: /usr/bin/python3 [option] ... [-c cmd | -m mod | file | -] [arg] ...
Try `python -h' for more information.

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events