HTTP Status 500 - Unable to establish a connection with the database

Katerina Bartosova July 14, 2017

Hello,

I can't reach JIRA, the error meddage says: 

HTTP Status 500 - Unable to establish a connection with the database. (File input/output error: E:\JIRAbackup/database/jiradb.log)

type Exception report

message Unable to establish a connection with the database. (File input/output error: E:\JIRAbackup/database/jiradb.log)

description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

com.opensymphony.module.propertyset.PropertyImplementationException: Unable to establish a connection with the database. (File input/output error: E:\JIRAbackup/database/jiradb.log)
	com.atlassian.jira.propertyset.CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore$EntryLoader.load(CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore.java:522)
	com.atlassian.jira.propertyset.CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore$EntryLoader.load(CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore.java:505)
	com.atlassian.cache.memory.MemoryCacheManager$3$1.load(MemoryCacheManager.java:132)
	com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LoadingValueReference.loadFuture(LocalCache.java:3573)
	com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.loadSync(LocalCache.java:2350)
	com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.lockedGetOrLoad(LocalCache.java:2313)
	com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.get(LocalCache.java:2228)
	com.google.common.cache.LocalCache.get(LocalCache.java:3970)
	com.google.common.cache.LocalCache.getOrLoad(LocalCache.java:3974)
	com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LocalManualCache.get(LocalCache.java:4834)
	com.atlassian.cache.memory.DelegatingCache$DelegatingLoadingCache.get(DelegatingCache.java:264)
	com.atlassian.jira.propertyset.CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore.getEntry(CachingOfBizPropertyEntryStore.java:117)
	com.atlassian.jira.propertyset.CachingOfBizPropertySet.get(CachingOfBizPropertySet.java:196)
	com.opensymphony.module.propertyset.AbstractPropertySet.getString(AbstractPropertySet.java:305)
	com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.ApplicationPropertiesStore.getStringFromDb(ApplicationPropertiesStore.java:271)
	com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.ApplicationPropertiesImpl.getString(ApplicationPropertiesImpl.java:56)
	com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.ApplicationPropertiesImpl.getEncoding(ApplicationPropertiesImpl.java:119)
	com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.ApplicationPropertiesImpl.getContentType(ApplicationPropertiesImpl.java:141)
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.JiraEncodingFilter.getContentType(JiraEncodingFilter.java:59)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.encoding.AbstractEncodingFilter.doFilter(AbstractEncodingFilter.java:39)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31)
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.PathMatchingEncodingFilter.doFilter(PathMatchingEncodingFilter.java:49)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31)
	com.atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupChecklistFilter.doFilter(JiraStartupChecklistFilter.java:79)
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.MultipartBoundaryCheckFilter.doFilter(MultipartBoundaryCheckFilter.java:41)
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.steps.ChainedFilterStepRunner.doFilter(ChainedFilterStepRunner.java:87)
	com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.JiraFirstFilter.doFilter(JiraFirstFilter.java:60)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/7.0.55 logs.

Any ideas what to do?

Thank you!

Katerina

3 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2017

The reference to jiradb.log strongly suggests you're using the internal database.

I hope you have backups, because an i/o error on that file means it's broken, probably irretreivably.  Check in jira-home/export for the latest standard xml output.  Or just rebuild it from production, as it's a test system.

0 votes
Katerina Bartosova July 14, 2017

No installation, no updates. Yesterday working fine, today not. We have our server, we restarted it. I believe it is external database, but I am not sure.

Now we have other error message saying TIMEOUT ERROR.

We have a lot of data there, so I don't want to try anything risky.

Thank you,

Katerina

0 votes
Stefan Arnold
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2017

What have you done before that error came up?

Has that been a fresh installation? An upgrade? Migration? Or just a restart and everything worked before?

Are you working with internal database or external?

When you dont have to fear data loss (cause of fresh install or something) and you use internal database you could try to remove the /database/ folder in you jira-home directory and recreate it (while jira is offline). then it should work as a factory reset when i remember correctly.

Suggest an answer