Group linked issues independent of link type

Lars Ulrich Krieg August 16, 2022

Hi all,

we have a hierarchical issue type structure like Type A , Type B and Type C

I would like now to create a structure where I can group the issues by likes in the way that I have on the top layer all issues with issue type A and underneach all issues with type B that are linked via any link to the issue type A and in the third layer all issue from Type C that are in any way linked to the issues of typ B in the secound one.

Anyway I only see that one can group the issues by a specific link type and since the types are not all the same I never have the complete picture visible in the structure. Is there any way I can achieve this?

all the best

3 answers

1 vote
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 17, 2022

Hello @Lars Ulrich Krieg ,

David from ALM Works here.  Welcome to the community!

If I understand correctly, you are using our product, Structure for Jira, and would like to build a hierarchy that Shows 

• level 1 w/ Issue type A
    • level 2 w/ issue type B connected to issue type A via ANY custom issue link
      • level 3 w/ issue type C connected to issue type B via ANY custom issue link

If I have it right, please reach out to our customer support team directly via email support@almworks.com or through our customer portal support.almworks.com.  We will be happy to review your use case in more detail.

Best,
David

Lars Ulrich Krieg August 18, 2022

Hi David,

This is in deed the goal here. Currently I circumvent the topic by reworking the links so they are all of only 2 types: Child-Parend and blocks- is blocked by. Anyway this does not feel very satisfactory. 

Can you propose a solution?

All the best

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 19, 2022

Hello @Lars Ulrich Krieg ,

Thank you!  There is not an "ANY" option when building the hierarchy of issue links.  However we may be able to accomplish your goal via multiple extend generators and some filter generators.

With that said, I do recommend contacting our support team to review all of the details of your use case in order to build a solution that makes the most sense.

You can reach us via email support@almworks.com or through our customer portal support.almworks.com.

Best,
David

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
1 vote
Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

Hi @Lars Ulrich Krieg 

It will required an app to do that.

Structure for JIRA, Big Picture or Advanced Roadmap.

With the 2 first you can define hierarchy based on links and display it within the app.

With the last one you can define the hierarchy in the app and use Parent Link to reference the parent issue in order to display it in the roadmap.

Regards

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

Hi, @Florian Bonniec.  You are right. I'm 90% certain @Lars Ulrich Krieg is in fact referring to Structure (server edition) in this post. 🙂

Also, FYI, Advanced Roadmaps is not available for Jira Server.

-dave

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2022

I've miss the "any link". I' m not sure you can.

Maybe you can set an automation or a listener if you have scriptrunner to create a link you will use to do the hierarchy everytime a link is created.

Then in a Structure, list all issues of type A, extend with the link you created, filter issue of type B (at the current level only or manually and set the level number (1 or 2)) then extend and filter again but on type C this time.

If you defined a hierarchy with type, A, B, C why you don't define the link to use ?

Regards

Lars Ulrich Krieg August 22, 2022

Hi Florian,

I'm aware of that option. Anyway it is not scalable since if there is a new link type I have to rework the extent generators in my structure.

Let me change the question slightly. How do you recommend to build up a structure that can be used as a basis for the gantt chart? Maybe I'm just using the wrong approach here.

All the best

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2022

Hi, @Lars Ulrich Krieg.  Please contact the Structure support team to set up a call or video conf. with a support or solutions engineer.

That way we can more easily have a dialog about your use case(s) and give you the best possible advice.

We want to help you be successful.  :)

~~~~~~~~

Thanks for pitching in, @Florian Bonniec  👍

Best,

-dave

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
August 16, 2022

Hi @Lars Ulrich Krieg 

If you are fine with a marketplace app, you can try out our add-on to get this data

Agile Tools : Epic Tree, Links Tree, Time in Status & Worklogs

The app provides the following features.

- View the full Jira Issue Type hierarchy of Linked issues,
Portfolio/Advanced Roadmaps, Epics, and Subtasks up to 10 levels.

- % complete based on time spent and story points at each hierarchy level

- Sum up Time Spent, Org Estimate, Time Rmng, custom number
fields

Links HIerarchy.PNG

Suggest an answer