Group by Story on next gen board doesn't work with linked issues

Stuart_Fuller October 18, 2019

I have a next gen Scrum board that I'm trying to configure to group by Story. From the looks of it, grouping by Story doesn't work if the story doesn't have any sub tasks. However, my stories are made up of linked issues. The reason for this is that we have several issues that span multiple stories (components need updating in common components, etc).

So, my story has 8 linked issues, all with a 'requires' operator. I've moved the story into this Sprint, however when I look at the Board, there is no way for me to group by story and see the linked issues underneath it. 

Is what I'm trying to achieve possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2019

Hello Stuart,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I understand that you would like to group linked issues underneath other stories in Next-gen boards. Is it correct?

I can confirm that the "Group by Stories" in Next-gen boards are created to be applicable only for sub-tasks and, Unfortunately, JIRA Next-gen doesn't have a "group by function" for linked issues. As we think it would be a useful feature in next-gen projects, we created the following feature request to get it implemented:

As a Jira Software user, I want to be able to configure swimlanes on next-gen boards 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

For now, you can choose one of the two options below to achieve your need:

1 - Change the linked stories to sub-tasks of the main story and use the "group by Stories" functionality

2  - Migrate your issues to a classic project, navigate to the board > Board settings > Swimlanes > Select the swimlanes to be based on a query and configure the following one:

issueLinkType in ("requires")

This will group your issues underneath the issue they are linked to.

Let me know if this information helps.

Stuart_Fuller October 22, 2019

Thanks for the reply Petter!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2019

You are welcome, Stuart.

Please, don't hesitate to contact us again in case you have any other questions. Have a nice day!

Deleted user June 23, 2020

I just tried this, and I get this message back:

There is no issue link type with either an inward or outward description 'requires'.

Is there a way to "unaccept" an answer, as this CLEARLY does not work.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
June 23, 2020

Hello @[deleted]

Please, note that the "requires" link type is a custom link type created by @Stuart_Fuller, as he mentioned in the description of the question, so the instructions provided to his scenario.

To apply the same instructions to your site, you would need to create a custom link type named "required" or use another link, as "Blocked by", "Related to", etc.

Deleted user June 23, 2020

My apologies if I missed something in his note.

I do not see where he stated outright that he had created a "custom" link type....

The "Related to" still doesn't derive the grouping between A STORY and it's specifically associated TASK.

This:   issuetypelink in ("relates to")

puts ALL Stories and ALL TASKS that have "relates to" set into the same lane.

i.e.

---------------------------

Story A

Story B

Task 1 related to Story A

Task 2 related to Story B

--------------------------

Everything else

When what should be possible is:

----------------------------

Story A

Task 1 related to Story A

----------------------------

Story B

Task 2 related to Story B

Everything else

Greg Paperin August 14, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves Your solution puts all items that have the specifies relationship in one lane, and all items that do not have any such relationship into the second lane.

The goal is to GROUP items that relate to a specific item into a separate swim lane. 

Suggest an answer