Group Tickets into swim lanes by release

richard cariven October 21, 2019

We are trying to manage our release process more closely and have set up a kanban board to take a ticket through the various stages needed prior to a release (Deployment to UAT, UAT, business sign off, release to pre prod and then release to prod) 

Our product has a number of components all at various versions so we want to be able to group each release into its own swimlane so we can more easily manage the process. Once all the tickets for a release have entered the Release Board we can then start moving them all across the board to track the release process. 

Is there a way of doing this in Jira? looking at the swimlanes options we can use a query but I don't want to have to constantly set up new query every time we start a new release. 

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2019

Hi Richard - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I don't believe it is possible to have random versions show up in a JQL. How often are you creating new versions? It might be that doing a manual update process will be sufficient for a short term and then do a once a month quick clean up or something like that. 

As issues leave the Release Board (i.e. have been released) the swimlanes associated with the release value will not be displayed. They will still be in your list of swimlanes, but the swimlane will stop showing on the board. That's when you would clean those up once a month. 

Not sure if that is helpful or not. 

0 votes
Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2019

Hi @richard cariven

To my knowledge there is no easy way to create custom swimlanes that adapt to each version available. I believe the easiest way would be to, as you mention, to use the custom queries. Although, it will require you to create new swimlanes for each version, so in the end it all comes down to how often new versions are added. 

Good luck with your Jira endeavors!

Suggest an answer