Greenhopper - Restrict ability to move items

Steve Sweales
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2013

Within the Plan section of Greenhopper, it is possible for people other than the Product Owner to change the order of the backlog, and even worse - add items to a current sprint.

In my mind this is incorrect as the PO owns the backlog and what is commited to a sprint, therefore nobody else should be able to do this.

I can't find any way of restricting the re-ordering of the backlog (or adding items into a sprint) - surely there is a way to do this? Anybody able to point me in the right direction?

I am using JIRA 6.0.1 and Greenhopper 6.2.2 - I am not using the Classic boards.

3 answers

0 votes
Fabrizio Galletti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2013

If you reenable the schedule permission will they become able to edit it?

are you sure about the edit permission? try to add a single user to the project developer role and check if it works right

Have you some kind of limitation on WF like status properties?

0 votes
James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2013

I would say the PO owns the backlog and the development team owns the sprint backlog. Also, I would think that the development team "commits" to what it can accomplish, but you would want them to be able to pull issues into a sprint from the backlog (ordered by the PO) if time permits.

0 votes
Dobroslawa Wierzbicka
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2013

As of now, the right to rank Issues is derived from the Schedule Issues Project Permission, so you may want to make sure that only the PO has it. As for adding and removing Issues from Sprints, that's based on the Edit Issues Permission - so limiting this would affect more users. You may want to vote for this related feature request, though: GHS-7881.

See this article for details on how GreenHopper inherits Permissions from JIRA: GreenHopper JIRA Configuration - Permissions.

Steve Sweales
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2013

I believe the Schedule Issue Project Permission is only used for the classic boards? Or have I misunderstood?

I thought that this permission was not available for the latest Greenhopper boards?

Dobroslawa Wierzbicka
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2013

Indeed, the Classic Boards used that (in a slightly different way), but so do the Rapid Boards - the article I linked to in the previous comment describes just that (:

Steve Sweales
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2013

Ok, just removed the schedule permission from the developers group, and indeed they can now not reorder the backlog or move an item into a sprint

However

They can not not edit any of the issues. i need them to be able edit the issues, just not move them within the backlog. =(

Dobroslawa Wierzbicka
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2013

Do they still have the Edit Issues permission?

Steve Sweales
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2013

Confirmed - jira-developers have the edit permission. It is just the Schedule permission that has been removed.

Steve Sweales
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2013

I'll just check, but I would imagine they do as I never changed anything apart from removing the Schedule permission for the jira-developers group

Fabrizio Galletti
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2013

If you reenable the schedule permission will they become able to edit it?

are you sure about the edit permission? try to add a single user to the project developer role and check if it works right

Have you some kind of limitation on WF like status properties?

Steve Sweales
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2013

I re-enabled the schedule permission and the user can now edit issues (although they can obvioulsy schedule them as well now).

I had already created a new user in our test instance to check everything out.

There are no limitations on the workflow except when moving between a done and closed status.

The developer group should be able to edit issues. With the schedule permission revoked, the group can't edit issues is not workable, that's even worse than the orginal problem.

Steve Sweales
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2013

I have raised the following bug (as I believe this is not expected behaviour):

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-34057

Suggest an answer