Greenhopper 5.6.8 Adding a field to the Issue Creation window.

Jeffrey Leung October 9, 2011

I'm using GH 5.6.8 with JIRA 4.3.4. We want to add the 'description' field to one of the issues as part of the issue creation using GH. As we're writing the story, the developers are entering their acceptance criteria for the story in this field. If we can get this field to display, it would make the developer's job easy (less clicks) to add the acceptance test to the story.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Danielle Zhu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2011

You can add Description field to the GH Add Card screen by configuring your Card Styles. Simply add Description field to Card View for the issue type you'd like to include this field in. The fields on the 'new card' dialog will be the same as what you configure in Card View.

Card Styles can be configured in JIRA Admin for all GH enabled projects. If you only want to add Description to a particular project, you can do that by selecting the Tools | Configuration menu when you are in that GH project.

Jeffrey Leung October 10, 2011

Danielle, I thought that should work too. I did what you said, and I see that the field is on the card but when I go to the project to see the changes, I don't see any change.

As I was typing this, I remembered that we haven't 'bounced' the JIRA server. Do need to restart the server in order to see the changes?

Danielle Zhu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2011

You shouldn't have to. Can you double check to make sure you are adding an issue for the issue type you configured? e.g. if you add Description to Bug issue type, you would only see Description field when you add a bug.

Danielle,

This is what I did: Administration tab -> Greenhopper (side tab) -> Project Templates. On this page, I went to the "card view" to add the field that i want on the GH card. Selected the desired field in the field name and used the apply to all issues button. I want to see the long description on all issue cards in GH. Go to the "Agile" tab and in either the Planning board view or the Task Board view, the changes are not applied.

Danielle Zhu
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2011

Hi, I suspect you have project level GH configurations that override the general GH settings. On your planning board, go to Tools on the right. Select Configuration. In Card Style, do the same - add Description field and click Apply to All, and see if that works.

Danielle, Thank you. That did the trick!! Is there a way that one can override the general GH settings so that all projects will get the same view?

Danielle Zhu
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2011

It doesn't seem like you can remove project level GH configurations. The good news is any new project you add going forward should pick up the updated general GH configurations. For existing projects, you may have to go through the project level configuration project by project.

Suggest an answer