GreenHopper - Epics and Issue Types

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2012

Hi all,

My question is related to GreenHopper new Boards and configuration of the project issue types..

When looking back to the past if using Classic Boards then accepting Scrum Template was automatically assigning GreenHopper Scrum Issue Type Scheme to the project.. This scheme was including Epic, Story, Bug, Improvement and Technical Task issue types..

Currently when using new view if you creating a new project from Getting Started page under Agile tab you get by default a clean SCRUM board however the difference is that all schemes associated to that project are JIRA default schemes. In order to have Epic, Story, Bug, Improvement and Technical Task we need to manually accept the scheme.. Is this intended?

Additional question..

If we already are using Epic issue type.. is this somehow connected with the new Epic feature that is introduced in GreenHopper 6.1.x or after switching to that version there is no need to use that kind of issue type anymore?

Thanks you for your answers!

Regards,

Mirek

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 1, 2013

Couple of points:

• Epic Issue Type is still needed and the Epic label is an extra custom field added to have a short name of the Epic to display it in the Epic panel in the board.
  • All existing Epics will be shown in the Epic panel when GreenHopper is upgraded.
  • When a project is created from the 'Getting Started' page, all the default schemes are associated and it is expected that all the required Issue Types are already available. Can you explain a bit more what you mean by "we need to manually accept the scheme"?
  • Epic issue type was already there in GreenHopper right from Classic board. The new feature is only to have this as an additional panel in the boards and also to associate stories to epics by drag and drop into the Epic.
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2013

Hi Renjith,

Thank you for explaining this in more details!

In order to answer your question.. As you mentioned when you create a project then it have automatically associated all default schemes.. When using old way, after accepting the project to use GreenHopper Scrum Template it was automatically changing current issue types to GreenHopper Issue Type Screen Scheme which was including (Epic, Story, Bug, New Feature/Improvement and Technical Task.. ) ..

Currently when you will create a project using GreenHopper then it automatically associating it with a SCRUM Board, but the issue types remains untouched. This means that the default issue type scheme will be used and you will have all issue types available that are used in your instance.

That is the reason when you need to manually change the issue type to accept scrum schemes even if you are using SCRUM Board.. In my opinion this should be done automatically.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2013

Ah, now I understood.

EDIT: You should not face any issue using the Default Scheme, since it includes every issue type that is present in the system. Right?

If you default scheme is not including all the issue types in the instance, that is a different error all together.

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2013

Hi Renjith,

I do not have any issues with using GreenHopper after creating a project but I was wondering why it cannot automatically accept only agile issue types.. I do not need ~ 100 issue types that are included in Default Scheme because when I want to create an issue all of them are available..

If I am creating a project using GreenHopper it is automaticaly setting up SCRUM board so default issue types should be (Epic, Story, Bug, Improvement, Technical Task - releted to SCRUM methodology) as it was in the old way of enabling GreenHopper for JIRA project. Now even I did created a project using GreenHopper I need to manually accept non-default scheme to have only those issues that I want.

On one hand SCRUM but on the other issue types not related by default to SCRUM..

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2013

Agreed. I guess this should be raised as a feature request. The GreenHopper Issue Type Scheme is actually used only for the Classic boards, when the scrum template is applied, AFAIK. The new one does not really care about that is what I guess.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2013
0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

I was wondering why it cannot automatically accept only agile issue types.. I do not need ~ 100 issue types that are included in Default Scheme because when I want to create an issue all of them are available..

why don't you create a new issue type scheme and select only those you really want to have in your project?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Associating+Issue+Types+with+Projects

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2013

Actually I am doing that.. that is the problem.. Let me explain my point ..

If there is an option that from GreenHopper I am able to create projects and those projects are automatically associated with a brand new Board which is a SCRUM type of board.. then from my understanding I should see automatically GreenHopper Default Issue Type Scheme assigned to my project instead of JIRA Default Issue Type Scheme..

In this GreenHopper Default Issue Type Scheme there should be a only issues related to Agile SCRUM methodology.. Epics, Stories, Tasks..(SCRUM is a SCRUM.. there should be only standard issue types) .. as it was in the old GreenHopper with Classic Boards..

As a admin I should be able to modify this GreenHopper Default Issue Type Scheme to include other issue types if I want to have more than those default..

If I need to manually associate my personal issue type scheme then I do not see any value from creating projects from GreenHopper. Having in mind that this is also problematic to check who can even use this feature (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/122236/greenhopper-creating-new-jira-projects-from-getting-started-page) then in my opinion this feature should be changed/fixed or even completely removed from GreenHopper.

0 votes
Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

I never tried it, but I would say that creating GreenHoper 6.1 Epic issues and populate them from any existing previous data, is not difficult by using the JIRA Java API.

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

[Duplicated answer. I wanted to add a comment for Mirek]

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

i think since EPIC left greenhopper LABS the epic handling became a little bit different.

i don't think you need to continue using Epic as an issue type cause this will be handled using Epic-Label Names inside your Agile board now.

please correct me if i am wrong

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

Epics were supported in the GreenHopper 6.0.6 as a Labs feature, but it has become an "official" feature since the latest 6.1 version.

Epic-Lables has been deprecated in the 6.1 version and replaced by Epic-Names.

In any version (6.0.6 and above) Epics are issue types.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

yup i just checked the fields..

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2012

In that case how this will work.. I am currently using Epic issue type to track epics and I want to do a upgrade to the latest version of GreenHopper.. How to ensure that all epics will be handled by new feature? Is there some kind of option to convert them or I will need to manually add epic by epic then remove all epic issues and finally epic issue type from the scheme?

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

I never tried it, but I would say that creating GreenHoper 6.1 Epic issues and populate them from any existing previous data, is not difficult by using the JIRA Java API.

[Update:]

And keeping the relationships between Epics and the rest of the issues by populating the Epic Link custom field.

Suggest an answer