GreenHopper Burndown Chart parent issue & subtasks

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2013

Does the burndown chart work with subtasks? Does it get the estimated time from the Parent issue & the linked issues. We are assuming the linked issus are subtasks that are also used for estimated time

Do we have to use the STORY POINT field and generate a number for the chart to work?

There are other records that show subtask is not supported when generating a chart.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jason Skidis May 13, 2013

Yes the burndown chart works with subtasks. On the scurm board configuration you must select "Remaining Estimate and Time Spent" on the Time Tracking section of the Estimation tab. The default is None which only tracks burndown based on completed story points.

The burndown chart will then use the original estimate/time remaining from the sub-tasks, and top level tasks but not linked issues.

You only have to use the story point field, in the context of this question, if you want have stroy point burndown charts as opposed to time remaining based burndown charts.

0 votes
Johan Timander November 12, 2013

Hi, this is rather confusing to me.

I dont want to compare apples and oranges aka estimate in hours what can at best only be described in storypoints. And the practice of use storypoints to find velocity and show burn down has been used for quite a while now. Are there any alternative to teams who does not use hours to estimate?

As it is right now, when using remaining storypoints I have to 1) ask the team members to update their technical or other substask and then 2) have to update the story which then 3) results in a scope change which is neither true or good. I would simply like to note the estimates of remaining storypoints and have it shown in a burn down chart... like its supposed to work. Surely this feature has not been removed?

Suggest an answer