Global Permission, Grant Permission only has Public option for Group

Joe Fitzgerald February 8, 2021

I navigated here:
Atlassian -> Settings -> Jira Settings -> System -> Security -> Global Permissions

In "Browse users and groups" I deleted the group of users that was referenced.

At the bottom of the page, under Grant Permission, I select Grant "Browse users and groups" but the only Group that I can select is called "Public" which opens this to the Internet.  Why can't I select any other groups?

I am the Org and Site administrator.  I have all of the groups:

• administrators
  • confluence-users
  • developers (our own custom group)
  • jira-administrators
  • jira-system-administrators
  • jira-users
  • site-admins

3 answers

0 votes
SKMCC August 19, 2021

If anyone is still struggling with this I found a workaround - see below: 

1. Select permission and assign Public
  2. You should now see the list of groups you have access to (e.g jira-users or jira-admin) as you'll be a member of the general Public group,
  3. Select permission and assign an internal group you now have access to view
  4. Remove Public global permission from permission you set in Step 1.  
0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

Hello @Joe Fitzgerald 

There was a similar post to this last week or the week before. 

In order to see user groups in the pull down list when granting Global Permissions, you (the person logged into JIRA) must yourself have the Browse Users and Groups global permission. Are you a member of a group that is assigned that Global Permission?

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

Hi Joe,

You actually have to be in a group in order to see and use the group. So if you created a new Group A with 2 users in it but not you, you will not see the group.

Add yourself to the group and it should show up after a refresh of your settings screen. 

After that, you can remove yourself from the group if you like. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events